Let's Go Racing

Have you counted the front one again? In a pic from your build thread you posted a pic of the sprockets you will be using and the front one was a 14 tooth.

Holy friggin hell chris, you are a lifesaver! They sent my the wrong front sprocket and I never noticed until now! I owe you a beer! I should have checked that yesterday, but you know how it goes, taking off that cover is a pain in the rear. That explains it. Just goes to show you need to triple check everything!!!!!

Nothing to see here folks, move along :)

Great. So They won't take the sprocket back since it's been over a year and it's been used. I'll just keep it and use it for around town ridding, the acceleration is quite fun. So another $30 for a new 17t front. And now I'm worried that the chain is now junk, since I sized it for the 14tooth and will probably be too short for the 17. If that's the case, that's another $120 down the drain. Grrr. Money pits I tell ya.

:thumbsup: I will have to pass on the beer as I don't drink. Just make that bike the fastest xs400 out there:bike: A 14 front sprocket would be like gaining 6 teeth on the rear. Your going to have a lot more acceleration but less top end.

Last edited:
:thumbsup: I will have to pass on the beer as I don't drink. Just make that bike the fastest xs400 out there:bike: A 14 front sprocket would be like loosing 6 teeth off the rear. Your going to have a lot less acceleration.

I'll drink it for ya, haven't had the time to enjoy one in quite a while :)

Economy Cycle just sent me another email, they are sending me a 17 tooth and letting me keep the 14. Sweet!

I also did contact JT sprockets, and they told me they sell those fronts for $10. So I'm thinking of ordering a few more sizes for fronts. Sent off an email to Rebel Gears who makes the 520 rear sprockets, and am getting a quote for a 33 and 35 to add to the mix. If they aren't more than $60 I'll buy them. I'll have quite a bit of gearing options at that point.

Ah. How 'maxed' do you have on your adjusters? You may get lucky and have enough slack in the current chain.

The 14t sprocket is 2.8" in diameter, the 17t will be 3.4"

I can only run the ERT2 on this bike, it's the only chain that clears the tire. I have .2mm of clearance with it properly aligned. Any other chain will rub! This is this most narrow 520 chain on the market, at least that I've been able to find.

If this chain doesn't fit with the new sprocket, what about a non o-ring chain? Would that still pass tech? If it's simply going to be used just for the mile then I don't see any issues, plus they're cheap and it's no where near as wide as an o-ring/x-ring chain.

If this chain doesn't fit with the new sprocket, what about a non o-ring chain? Would that still pass tech? If it's simply going to be used just for the mile then I don't see any issues, plus they're cheap and it's no where near as wide as an o-ring/x-ring chain.

The ERT2 is non-oring :) It's actually not made for longevity at all, supposed to replace it after a race weekend.

Ok so I hate to say it, but all this may have been for naught. I was furloughed back around Christmas from my job, and they have sent me a letter of intent to move me to a different state. It's either take the move and continue working (good pay), or stay on furlough and wait what could possibly be years here in Ohio. That means continuing the search for a temporary decent paying job(which there aren't any, only jobs around here are $10-12 an hour) or just waiting on unemployment possibly never to return to the furloughed job...

So I've opted for the transfer.

Good news is that it will be to one of four places, either Charleston SC, Columbia SC, Atlanta GA, or Des Moines IA. Charleston was my first choice on the list, I would absolutely love to live by the ocean, and in a place where I could ride all year long.

Bad news is, that I don't get to pick which place, so I could get stuck in Des Moines! Also, they won't tell me which location until April 3rd, and the move has to be completed and work started by April 16th. So not much time to get settled!

This all means that the Ohio Mile races this year is out the window, since I will not be able to call off or take vacation at my new location for the next year. I'm going to keep the bike kitted as it is, because you never know. I'll be sure to use my vacation next year to coincide with a date I can get it to the landspeed events!

The move may not even happen, just have to plan like it is :)

Decided to take a video blasting through the gears. I couldn't find any of my gopro mounts, so I just tossed my cell phone in my AFR ram mount and ran TrackAddict for vid/data. Quality sucks, but I don't care. Will be fine to compare my sprocket changes.

See video description on youtube if you want to know what the hell is happening here. Yes, the front wheel is hard to keep planted in 1st with this gearing. It's a wheelie machine.

Hit 112 today. And that's with a leaky left piston. It's gulping oil. New goal is 120 after I get this thing bored for oversize pistons.

Back