Lights are on but no start

PiranahFish

Doug piranah
Reaction score
Hi there
My name is Doug I live in Noosa Heads Australia. I am in the process of rebuilding my 79xs400 and have run into a problem.
I have the motor back in and have had it running. Yesterday I deceided to change the handlebars. But now it wont start. I have checked the fuses (new fuse box) all ok. I have ignition lights on the dash as before but when I push the starter button nothing, I though I may have pulled something out when changing the the handlebars so I checked in the headlight all seems to be connected, did a quick circuit check on to the kill switch and the circuit is complete. is there a quick way i can bypass the starter button, it is old and may be the fault.
And help would be appreciated.

Hi thanks for your reply, but my carbs are dirty & I am waiting for inlet manifolds & kits so It has never started with the kick.
I will replace the switches soon, but in the mean time would like to know its running before i start to clean & play with the carbs. compression is low so kick starting is hard work.
You can i some how short from the solenoid to the battery to see if it tuns over??

Back