Limited revs, and top speed

nebojsa_o

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am working on my girlfriends '79 XS400. She bought it about a month back. I rode it home for her as she didn't have her licence. The bike died on me at a red light after about 3 minutes of riding (but not during the 5 minute test ride... haha). After a few attempts I got it started again. Rode for about 10 kms at 100 and 110 km/h with no issues, and it died again when I clutched in approaching a red light. Luckily I was still rolling, so I dumped the clutch and it started up. Idle was low, about 800 rpms, so I kept it alive with the throttle, and got it home.

After a lot or reading on the forum here, I cleaned the carbs which didn't look bad. Checked the floats, and they seemed to be in spec with what I've seen here. When I reassembled, I turned the mixture screws out to 3 turns based on what I've read. They were at 1 1/4 turns. Bike started and idled great right from the start. While I was cleaning it up I started it a few times for giggles, and it started popping and idling weird just in the garage. Further research, syncing carbs is important, so I made a manometer and synced it. It was way off. Popping went away, idle is great again. I took it for a test ride, and it seemed a little slower than I remembered, wouldn't go over 6000 rpms, and in 6th gear at 80 km/h, holding 5000 rpms steady. Doesn't go further. It no longer stalls when warm though. I checked the spark plugs, and they were black. Cleaned them up a bit, adjusted the mixture screws to 2 turns, and tried again. Bike seemd a little better, but the same limit at 5000 rpms in 6th gear. I went to 1 1/2 turns, and then back to 1 1/4 turns. Balancing after each modification. Bike feels a lot better now at 1 1/4, revs quicker, and the rpms don't hang, so not lean. Plugs are not as black, but they are still dirty from before, so I'm thinking new plugs won't hurt. I'm still limited at 5000 rpms and 80 km/h...

On the last test ride, the bike pulled to 7000 rpms in lower gears. I clutched in while rolling and tried revving it up, and it went to 7000 paused for literally 1 second, and then went from 7000 to 9000 which is when I let off.
The bike has factory air boxes, factory exhaust. Compression is 145 and 150 psi. I didn't check valves and timing yet because I don't want to introduce any more of my own error. I know that hasn't changed since I first rode it at which point it had no issues going over 80 km/h so I'm guessing it's just a carb thing.
I did adjust the clutch as it was awfully hard to pull. Cleaned up the screw, greased it up, and adjusted it, and it feels great now. It shouldn't have anything to do with my problem I don't think, but I could be wrong.
Sorry this turned out so long, I'm just trying to give a lot of info, to maybe make your diagnostics easier. I am leaning towards cleaning the carbs again, but before I pull them apart, any pointers at what I should pay extra attention to? Also for what it's worth, the gas tank is coated inside with some sort of paint, so there is no rust or anything like that inside. Thanks for the advice in advance!

A little update. I ended up a little too busy this weekend to take the carbs out, but I just took off the air boxes, and looked inside the pipes at the slides. Using a screwdriver I lifted the left slide up, feeling slight resistance, and when I let it go, it smoothly lowers itself. The right slide went up with zero resistance, and when I let it go, it just falls down quickly and sounds like I can hear the spring bounce/rattle. I'm gonna try and get the carbs off as soon as I have a little more time...

UPDATE: I ended up cancelling drinks with a friend because this was bothering me for over a week now. I took the carbs off, and established that the diaphragm didn't sit nicely in it's groove and wasn't sealed properly. I had a bit of trouble but after a few attempts, I felt that resistance and smooth slower lowering. I reassembled, balanced, and went for a ride. Pulled up to 120 km/h with no problem, but I had no more road to try higher. It did start stuttering on me, and stall out, but I believe it was just a lack of fuel. I put it to Reserve and it started right back up and drove home fine the rest of the way. Now I will tinker around with it some more, and hopefully take it on a proper test ride. Hopefully this helps someone else who overlooked a simple thing like myself. Cheers!

Cool, after reading your first bit about the thottle not going over 5k rpms, I was starting to think diaphragm, Glad you got this going!
Tobie

Back