Luggage setups!

ThePsuedoMonkey

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've been getting tired of using a backpack all of the time for storing my extra gear and the random things that I need to buy. Some people just don't trust you when you go into a store with an empty backpack! Just curious about everyone else' solution to this situation. Post your pics! :thumbsup:

The problem with luggage racks is that they clutter up the lines of your bike. A nice tank bag can do the trick, but might scratch up your tank.

11 years ago, I bought a Technics bag with bungee cords in side pockets. I could strap it down on the passenger seat when I needed a bag, or wear it like a satchel. It worked great until the zipper broke, and I'd love to find something like that again...

You could even go with one of those fork bags if you like the look and don't need to carry much.

I don't really have a cheap solution; I've been avoiding buying a tank/tail bag. When I need to buy things I simply take my bigger bike with a large tail compartment /shrug

I've seen a couple guys build some slick leather satchels to cover where the side covers go, but it only suits certain styles of builds. I'm trying to decide if I can do something like that to mine without it looking out of place. Gotta finish everything else off first.

Here's what I'm talking about (super cool build if you like steam-punk style):
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33668.80 (page 9 has some pics of the satchels)

I've seen a couple guys build some slick leather satchels to cover where the side covers go, but it only suits certain styles of builds. I'm trying to decide if I can do something like that to mine without it looking out of place. Gotta finish everything else off first.

Here's what I'm talking about (super cool build if you like steam-punk style):
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=33668.80 (page 9 has some pics of the satchels)

what a cracking bike that is :bike:

steampunk XS anyone?

That steampunk bike definitely has personality to spare! Those little bags are pretty interesting, maybe if I threw away the battery box I could make a decent-size compartment in its place (the wheels are starting to turn, heh heh). I have always worried about those tank bags scratching up my awesome stock paint too, and they look like they might fall off on a big bump. How secure are those fork bags? Seems like a decent solution for some small things, but not if they are held on by Velcro or something equally ridiculous. I'd probably be afraid to use a passenger bag for fear of someone swiping it on me :/

@bentwrench: I know what you mean about messing up the contours of the bike, so that's why I want to see what they might look like before I commit. Most of the pre-fabricated stuff I've seen is pretty gaudy as well, but I'm still holding out hope that something sweet is out here.

im all about lots of luggage as cheap as possible. Walmart sells saddlebags for $50, decent bags, we only have the bikes so they endure alot of luggage including groceries, and I meant ALOT. They tend to fade though, mostly cause im to lazy to put the build in covers on. The tankbag is a fieldsheer eiffel 2, got one on sale for $15, and another for $30. Homemade rear tail rack made from a rucksack.

197638_238885799479717_100000748964508_807684_5835374_n.jpg

295523_245823185452645_100000748964508_831634_1818487_n.jpg

We dont got this extreme everyday, the main tankbag and the rear saddle bags are everyday. This was for a week long trip up into the mountains for our annual trip to US129. But was 2up.

looks like the last page from Cycle World April issue "ted had regretted inviting the Mrs. . ." :laugh:

I wear a courier stachel bag. It is made to be worn by cyclists or motorcyclists (will post a picture soon). It does not look like a backpack and so far, nobody has said a word to me about wearing it into their store.

If you get in the market for a luggage rack, I am selling the combo luggage rack/backrest that came fitted on my my 1981 XS400 when I bought it. A picture is on the photo album named 'backrest' on this site.

That is a pretty intense setup there, corrupt! I can't even imagine trying to handle with all of that. Did you have a thread detailing how you made that rack?

@Arc: You could probably persuade me to jump on that offer. Is that backrest removable?

I know it's a kind of backpack, but I carry a large "cinch bag" folded up in a pocket that runs across the back of my riding jacket. It's there if I need it to carry something and holds a surprising amount (2 half gallons of milk and other items). However, it is away and out of sight when I don't need it. The one I have is made of heavy nylon and is large enough so that it fits well on my large frame with an armored jacket.

Back