Manual needed, got the 79 running Sunday!

Ilovemountains

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a scanned shop manual, it’s been a few years since I’ve wrenched on an XS400, I got the new to me 79 running Sunday morning, surprisingly it didn’t take much at all, fresh gas, fresh battery, choke and 3 kicks and it fired right up, Im just glad it had a key with it. Whoever the genius was that owned it before me was should have NEVER been allowed to work on a motorcycle though, the fuse box is gone; they hard wired the wires together in place of fuses. They also painted the forks, shocks, engine, tank etc. all black with rattle can paint. The best thing wrong I found was the crankcase FULL of oil, it had so much oil in it that even the stator housing was full, at least 4 quarts came out!!! The good thing is it does have a 2-1 header, the front tire looks to be less than a year old, the disk brakes both work, and it runs, quite well, it idled smooth and had good throttle response, sounded good and all the lights / tach worked. It is going to need some work though, I need a clutch cable, some carb seals since I’m going to break them down and give them a quick once over, and a chain before I’m even going to test ride it though I don’t anticipate any issues. Any ideas as to how to remove the black paint from the engine? I was thinking about trying the pressure washer just to see it it can blast it loose, if not I can wire brush it off, mainly the jugs and head, I don’t care how it looks for now more concerned about heat transfer. Let me know about the manual! ~Matt

so no chance of any rust on that bike then:laugh:

use aircraft paint remover, its thin enough to get in the nooks and crannies!

Good call, I didn’t think about aircraft paint remover, it doesn’t eat alloy!! I didn’t catch the crankcase full of oil till after I started it, I only ran it for about a minute then shut it off and pulled the seat and tank. It wasn’t till I pulled the stator cover and oil started flowing out that I thought to myself, something is really wrong here so I pulled the dipstick to find it almost to the top! With a little TLC and just a good cleaning it wont be too bad, Im not sure what Im going to do with it yet, I might just keep it a hideous rat bike, Ive got a few friends that have asked me several times to teach them how to ride, there is NO way they are even sitting on my Triumph Sprint RS, and Id rather not let someone cook the clutch in my KLR so the XS might be the tool for the job!!!

Yeah the clips holding the fuses get brittle and break off. Some have kept the box and just replaced the clips. There is a repro box available. Usually 4 fuse holders are wired in. Not very smart to hardwire w/o fuses!

Yeah I rebuilt the fuse box on my 77D, Im going to wire in a few blade fuse holders this afternoon, a 20a main with no fuse would self destruct a harness in no time!

Back