Maxim swing arm bolt removal

16VGTIDave

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I want to remove the swing arm to check/replace the bearings and to paint it, but I can't get the swing arm bolt to budge. I can get the bolt to turn, but a 4lb sledge hammer and brass drift won't get it to move. I'm guessing that the sleeve has rusted to the bolt after 30 years... :(

Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks,
Dave

I want to remove the swing arm to check/replace the bearings and to paint it, but I can't get the swing arm bolt to budge. I can get the bolt to turn, but a 4lb sledge hammer and brass drift won't get it to move. I'm guessing that the sleeve has rusted to the bolt after 30 years... :(

Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Thanks,
Dave

have you tryed a torch with map gas to heat it up?

No, I haven't tried heat yet. On the Maxim, only the head and thread of the bolt is accessible. The shank is inside the sleeve which is inside the swing arm, and sitting on bearings. No way to get heat to the sleeve unless I cut open the swing arm. I'm not going there.

I may try repeatedly heating and cooling the head and end of the bolt and seeing if that makes any difference.

Dave

Im not familair with how this bolt looks but can you get a socket on it then use a ratchet with a cheater bar?Unless the head of the bolt strips this method along with some heat usualy will work on those stubborn bolts.

The bolt turns just fine. The problem is it won't slide out, even when persuaded with a 4lb sledge hammer! I can only guess that it has rusted into the sleeve that the swing arm bearings ride on.

I'm fairly sure that the beatings I've given the bolt has damaged the bearings by now. So I must either find a way to remove it, or the bike is going down the road in the spring. Probably in pieces, as I wouldn't want someone else to have the bearings fail and crash... :(

Dave

couple things: check the tension of your chain (if still on); have one person help wiggle the swing arm while you beat on the bolt; set the bike at an angle and spray some penetrating oil in there so it trickles down the bolt and (hopefully) loosens each end. The last method is kind of a long shot and will probably take a long time... Hope these options help a bit.

This is taken directly from the manual. Add to that the frame on either side...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 705
When you do get it fixed put a grease fitting in the middle of the swingarm so you can keep the thing lubed. I have done this with my RT180 and it works awesome.

Dave is it the sleve around the bolt that are stuck together and giving the problem or is the sleve where it goes through the frame that you cant remove?

Maybe you can cut the bolt at both ends.between the frame and swing arm.then put the swing arm on a press and press the bolt threw .you can get a bolt and bearings on ebay.

Posted via Mobile

Dave is it the sleve around the bolt that are stuck together and giving the problem or is the sleve where it goes through the frame that you cant remove?

I don't actually know. :confused: What I do know is that the bolt won't come out, but it will turn. I can only guess that the bolt and sleeve are rusted together. :banghead:

Dave

Dave, mine was a little corroded too when I first removed it, so you are probably right about it being stuck with corrosion.

If the nut is off, and the bolt just won't move, can you get a puller or a large screwdriver, or a crowbar in between the frame and the head of the nut? Sometimes a pull will work when a push won't...

Im wondering if you can take a bolt about the sime size maybe a tad bit smaller and then use a hammer put it on the other side and pound out the old one

After using up 6 or 8 hours, a can of penetrating oil, a lot of gas for the torch, a brass drift, and a bunch of sweating and swearing, the bolt still won't come out. :banghead:

So I've gone at the bolt with drill bits. I have most of the exposed shank drilled out and have started drilling out the head. I'll tell you that drilling this bolt isn't easy, I'm guessing it is a grade 10.9 or close to it. Tough steel.

In the next few days I should have time to complete the drilling and will be able to remove the swingarm. Then I will have to deal with getting a new bolt, bearings, spacer shims, and sleeve. Only found a bolt on eBay so far...

Dave

PM sent - dude, there's got to be a better way, and if you mess up your frame, well, you'd be screwed except Lou Ranger has a spare one that I'm sure you could get from him for cheap(ish...)

Back