Maxium trans question

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know if I would ever do this but I have a question more out of curosisty than anything.
Our bikes use a 6 speed trans with not much spread inbetween 4 and 6th gears with rpms and speed.
So most maximums use a 5 speed if Im correct,Is the spread between gears better than our 6 speeds and can they be swapped to our engines sohc?Or better yet can trans and engines be swapped into our frames with direct bolt on?

The frames and engines are totally different, so I am going to have to say that nothing will be a bolt-on affair.

You're best off altering chains and sprockets for different gearing.

The xs400 will never be a "good" highway motorcycle; it simply doesn't make enough power/torque. It as acceptable and functional, but not ideal compared to other motorcycles better suited for this duty.

Would you or would you not get the same speed if you used the maxims 5 speed trans?On the xs400 specials trans the lack of spread on rpms is rediculous between 5th and 6th gears anyway.If Yamaha would have geared the 6 speed trans differently it could have been alot better.

Back