More questions my homies

Juju400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure I might as well ask away, although I'll be sure to use the search box more.

Do I need a fuel shutoff and fuel filter? Are they beneficial? Dude at the parts store told me the stock xs400 doesn't come with either. I took the petcock off and the shutoff was dirty so I took it off- and lost it. :(

I haven't gotten to this part of my build, but I'm fairly certain without a fuel shutoff your carbs will flood quicker than a desert in a monsoon. I've seen that you can buy a lawn-mower fuel control to substitute until you get your petcock sorted out.

Fuel filter should be in-tank and connected to the petcock, but most people run an in-line fuel filter because they're cheap, easy to install, and work like a hot damn so why not? Some may argue an in-line filter is essential to keeping rust out of the carbs because these bikes are old and rust in the tank is a prevalent issue.

As for losing parts, I know your pain. I've lost more than my fair share of parts to the oblivion of carelessness! Buy a box of 100 sandwich bags and get in the habit of chucking anything you take apart into them; it's easier to find a sandwich bag than a tiny metal part.

Hope that helps!

Well said Laim, Baggy idea, The secondary filter (inline, post petcock) is more for state of mind. the inside filter, has bigger holes, my story, some where I have pics of red rust in my carbs. That was with a paper filter. So all the filter buys you, is smaller particles of rust getting past the filter, and less likely to be damaging. for the 3 months of running it, I did have a sizable amount of rust dust in the carbs.

As far as a shutoff, the vacuum type of petcock is its own autoshut off. Provided everything is working right, the vacuum will open the petcock, meaning as long as there is a running engine it will be fine. on the rare time of reserviceing, you will need to put it in prime mode for the first start. Then just leave it in on mode.
Good luck
Tobie

My gas tank had rust in it but I've been letting white vinegar soak in it and that's seeming to alleviate the rust a little bit. My problem is that i dont have a pressure hose to rinse it out with. What's a way I can get around this?
As, for the fuel filter, I'll go ahead and buy one because I dont want to have to clean the carbs all the time. I bought one before, but as you can guess, I lost it.

try your local hardware store/auto parts place. I just used Amazon, cause I knew they would have reviews, and you can examine them, and see how our website rated them. (we did talk about them) I don't think we talked about the Casewell. That will give you a leg up on what to google while your bored! Tobie

Back