mounting a digital panel

RecoveringA55hole

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm lost when it comes to the electrical part. I'm going to end up hiring someone to finish all my electrical wiring when I put the bike back together anyways. My question is, can I use any tach and speedo on my 1978 xs500? I;m thinking about looking for a newer digital one.

A digital tach that hooks up to the spark plugs will work; someone on here just recently added one. I can't say whether or not any oem ones from other models will bolt up or not.

look up trailtech vapor...I used one in the past on a street fighter build...it was excellent quality and around $125-$150,...tachs are mechanical on these bikes...as in cable driven..but the aftermarket trailtech etc,.. uses a pick up wire wrapped around the 1 sparkplug wire....you put a piece of tape on the wheel and measure where it touches the floor from start to finish of one revolution of the tire...input the measurement and it calculates the speedometer....it was really an awesome unit...I thought about using one on my current build eventually.

i just got a works connection one off of ebay, its super small and I plan to hide it, im going for a clean look so it works for me. very very simple

I've seen a few people just make a mount for their iPhone and use a speedo app.....Looks pretty cool in my opinion.

very interesting, i might check into that as well. if i could figure out how to charge it at the same time, that would be perfect!

ive got an amp guage in my truck and when I play around with the droid and the Dyno app I can see it draws some serious power, might be too much for the ol' xs

Back