My bike started!!! Lots of smoke....

tbakic

1st cafe project underway
Reaction score
Yeah it started!!! Thanks to all who have me tips and help on the carbs :) I got it started today, it started at a really low rpm, ten about 6 sexonds later the rpms cranked up while it was warming up with full choke on, YEAH!!! Although the whole time It idle it was smoking a lot out of the exhaust, also when I gave it throttle the smoke picked up too. Worried its burning oil...

Take out the spark plugs and put about 1 ounce of automatic transmission fluid in each plug hole.Leave it overnight or as long as you want to,and it will work the rings loose. It will also work on the valve guides,etc. as it's a good solvent and cleaner. lha

The rpms surging with choke is normal. Most of my bikes blow a fair amount of smoke with choke on; it's very rich.

Run it for a while without choke and see what happens.

gonna piggyback and ask for a little reassurance

got my bike a few weeks back and could tell the right cylinder wasn't firing at idle. I've just finished cleaning my carbs, and the right was smoking like crazy. We're talking 007 smokescreen smoke. Didn't smell like oil.

sounds like its just the sign of resurrection, but anything to look out for that tells me I'm in trouble?

thanks guys, I'll have to post some pics soon

what colours are the smoke?
white = too much fuel
blue hue = oil
smoke on start up = leaky valve guides or seals (my new seals went and used Viton replacements)
smoke on overrun crank breather blocked or worn piston rings

looks like it may have been unburned fuel from jostling everything around saturday. fired it up again today and had a lot of smoke from both cylinders. neighbor's son came over and gave it a once over. we let it run, smoke died off, and we were able to then smooth out the idle. (my guess is p/o compensated for one cylinder at idle by upping the revs) it's was holding a solid idle at 1000 tonight, but we bumped it up a little bit. no smoke, no burning smells. i think i'm in the clear for now. just need to gain a little wait to make kicking it a little easier.

thanks everyone for the support all over the forums. makes owning a bike on a budget doable.

now my wife won't kill me for buying money pit.

Back