New Aussie making Cafe racer for Mt. Panorama laps

BryceVR

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there all, I'm Bill and live in a small township about 40kms (30 miles for the yanks and primitives) from Bathurst in the NSW central west.
I was given a tidy XS about 2 years ago and intended to get it running for a runabout. The major townships are about 40-50 kms away and I don't need to take the car for a lot of the trips so a new bike sounded good. Then I was given another (a tidy BMW K75) so the poor Yamaha sat.
I had to move the bike recently and thought what? sell it, keep it or play.
I have several cars and 2 race cars, I've restored several ride on mowers recently and have a pretty fair workshop.
CAFE RACER Ooooh Yahhh !!
So I am about to begin a rebuild odyssey.
No need for too much in the hot ups, it's a 250 now but I'll do a 400 for it in the next 12 months and go to town on the engine whilst I use the bike with the 250 and get the chassis and aesthetics sorted.
I figure, one step at a time and get each piece sorted then when the configuration is correct, strip it down and clean the build with new brackets, and removing unwanted brackets and fittings. Then powder coat the frame and re assemble with detail.
She starts and runs and revs but the inevitable gremlins will kill the engine when I use the brakes, lights or indicators. I intend to upgrade the electrics as a priority so I'm not real worried, the engine runs well and the frame is straight, anything else is really just detail to be addressed.
So I humbly join your club with the intention of it being beneficial to both you and to me.
So
Here it is...

Yam XS 250 - 07a web.jpg

By the way this is probably my 30th bike so I'm not really a noob but it's been 20 years, so I need to get my head back around some bike stuff again. Including this I own over over 60 internal combustion engines (that work) I doubt I'll have too many issues but my own impatience.

Good luck with it all... nice solid looking bike and it sounds like you have plenty of experience. Look forward to the finished photos in a while.

As with most builds, it's important to have a vision, but equally important to keep the vision fluid. Reality has a habit of interfering with the best plans.
I'm going classic cafe racer with a short 2-1 pipe gathered at the belly and exiting under the RHS pedal. It won't see any work outside of the highway, typically the 40km to Bathurst every week or so, so clearance in the corners matters more than speed humps.
Standard rear sets and clip-ons, round solo tail and minimalist instruments.
A classic Tacho and a pushbike speedo (Legals), I am a major R/C hobbyist for 35yrs so LiPo's are a no brainer, I'll check the alternator and then go from there with new parts as required. Certainly a new Reg-Rec and all new relays to begin.
During our winter months it will be mainly getting the bits together and checking for fit, making custom brackets and marking the redundant ones for removal, when I get the package together and have done a few shakedown runs I'll strip it down and complete the detail assembly with paint and bling. Aiming for late October.
My last project was a ride on mower (Ive got 3 acres so a new ride on was a bit of a present to myself).
We started with this,
The beginning.jpg
The beginning.jpg

and ended with...
Final Murray pics 01.jpg

Complete with MP3, blutooth and FM radio and, it mows the lawn really well.
I am sure the bike will be much better, I like riding bikes more than mowing the lawn.

These are my two favourite inspirations so far, both simple and elegant and good detail.

Yam XS Plan-a.jpg
Yam XS Plan-b.jpg

I like the look of pipes on the yellow one particularly and tha dark bike seems to have a nice stance but the twin discs are over kill. More than one disc on the front of ANY bike not used in competition is overkill, one disc will flip the bike or lock the wheel on any bike. Cooling from repeated use is the only reason for twin fronts. (I proved this years ago with a Rickman Kawasaki I built). Don't be too confident of even your fantastic brakes in traffic, any shitty shopping car will leave you for dead under brakes. It's all contact patch, not brakes.

Last edited:
Well, I've started with a basic strip down to get an idea of what condition the bike was in.
Several issues, though none that are deal breakers in going forward.
I began by offering up the critical replacement parts, Bars, Rear set pegs and electrics redesign.
So far the bars are on and I'll be addressing the problems this brings.
The rearsets still need tweaking, at the moment I've just drilled an tapped the passenger peg mounts but will not set the final mounts until I have a perfect location and I'll fabricate the correct mount.
I am completely replacing the harness. I think this will be of interest to all.
Having a 30+ year R/C background, doing fancy high power wiring is a bit simple.
I have chosen to rewire using a common quadcopter system using a power distribution board and connectors which are as good as need but not bulky, you will see some DuPont pin connections because they are ultra small and will carry the current needed for their function.

First pic is the office with the stance and angles fairly correct.
Yam XS 250 sml - 000.jpg

Next the final picture before we started the strip-down.
Yam XS 250 sml - 001.jpg
Now I must introduce the apprentice, Dr. Winston O'Boogie. He approves.
Yam XS 250 sml - 002.jpg
Then Clip-ons mounted with Max checking the perimeter.
Yam XS 250 sml - 004.jpg

The basic layout is done, of course seat and paint will be the difference, the line is good. Winston has signed off on this level so all is good to go.
Yam XS 250 sml - 005.jpg
Here's how the rearsets are mounted now, still tossing options around but the basic layout won't change very much. I'll need to insert some rivnuts from the rear and tidy the mount loops a bit when the location is perfect.
Yam XS 250 sml - 006.jpg
I am using a small master cylinder with a new SS brake line. I'm really looking for someone to swap my disc brake rear for a drum. so much neater and I REALLY don't need that much braking in the rear.
I stripped all of the electrics out and analysed the circuit diagrams.
I will be removing the RHS switch gear completely and replacing the LHS with a simple unit.
You will love my new switch gear system, I am so proud of it.
As soon as I've got the system in place I'll do a post on the electrics.

Back