New cafe build

I think so... probably white. I should have done it when I took them apart the other day... im sure i'll take them apart again soon so maybe then

I think so... probably white. I should have done it when I took them apart the other day... im sure i'll take them apart again soon so maybe then

Never thought about painting the carbs...

My initial concern would be paint retention considering the proximity to fuel.

This auto restore thread has some interesting success ideas on the subject.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257012

Sounds like they will look killer on your 'Black&White'!

Im having trouble searching for the exact answer and don't want to start a thread over it...

I want to order clip ons and im not sure if 33mm is the right size... I think it's 33mm but I want to make sure before I buy them. Anyone know for sure???

Thanks

Oh and wanted to get your opinions on the exhaust... black is so common.. almost too common. Im thinking of spraying them white... I've found VHT exhaust paint in white. What do you guys think of white exhausts?

white would be cool.i have had good luck with vht black exhaust paint so the white should be good:thumbsup:

make sure you don't have any gas leaks or overflowing carbs or the paint will be toast.rattle can paint dos not like gas at all.looking good so far:thumbsup:

I cut a few tabs off the frame and started glassing a battery/wiring tray. I used masking tape to form a tray, spread some wax as a releasing agent, put down several coats of resin and glass...

Once it's dry I'll knock off all the high points and start with the bondo...

Once the tray is complete I'll get it all back together and start working on the seat and tail. I also modified the stock turn signals... figured out a way to bring them closer to the bike. I hated how much they stick out...

Steeze you are very ambitious and your progress is moving right along. I am in Marysville, not to far away, in fact I bought my last xs400 in Oak Harbor about 4 months ago.
Funny the link to to HAMB, I've been signed up over there since 99 and actually had beers with a few of the guys in that thread, good stuff. The base plates on the Stromberg 97's on my model A Ford are painted so I would think painting your bike carbs should be fine.

Thanks guys..

Decided not to cut the frame any shorter... only removed some tabs. Also decided to use the tray to house the wiring and fuses.. I built a battery compartment with some steel rod. It's just tacked in right now and needs to be finished but you get the idea

Started on a seat...

After 3 coats of fiberglass and 4 coats of resin I have a mold... I knock down the high points with a grinder and start with the bondo... This is after 1 coat of bondo. Im terrible about taking pics... I get on a roll and forget. When im working with glass especially... fiberglass and I have a love/hate relationship.

I'll sand this coat as smooth as I can get it... focusing mostly on the shape. Once it's where I want it, i'll fill all the little imperfections and finish it out. You can also see the wiring tray off to the side.. same process for that.

On a side note... Im very much enjoying this and have decided to do a second tank and seat for the bike. This second set is going to be something I've never seen before or even heard of anyone trying.

Im going to find a squared off tank.. I think it's the '77 tank. I'll strip it to bare metal.. Then i'll do another glass seat and tail but more squared off to math the squared 77 tank.

Little background story... I spent a few years apprenticing under a master carpenter... He was brilliant and he and I built amazing cabinets, bars, kitchens etc... very high end and often out of very exotic woods. When I worked with him we were tasked to build an office out of walnut burl... what made it so difficult was the curved design. All the cabinets were round and incorporated various radius's. We spent weeks figuring out how to get walnut veneer to bend.. we used several softening compounds, molds, and a vacuum press and eventually got it to work.

My idea is to get some exotic wood veneer and the compound that allows it to bend.. the idea is to cut out the pattern while still maintaining grain integrity and pressing it to the tank and seat. A complete wood veneered body... something exotic and burl.. real wood. I'll have to use a strong adhesive... and essentially bond it to the metal tank. Then i'll have to clear the shit out of it... at least 5 coats.

It's just an idea at this point... but I think I can pull it off.

Have the day off today.. got a lot done this morning... spent a little time fitting the seat to the frame. In these pics you can see how I get the front of the seat ti match the radius if the gas tank... I cut the seat to get it as close to the tank as possible.. then I laid down some masking tape and applied some wax to it as a releasing agent.. same as the fiberglass.

Then I spread some bondo in the cracks...

Getting closer to a finished seat... here it is a little closer to finish. Just small imperfections to fill... notice I cut a chunk of the back out... this is for the brake light im about to mount.

Looks awesome bud, I wish mine turned out as nice. I accidentally used a damp brush to apply my second coat of resin and it only semi dried, basically turning the seat into a gummy mess.

Slow going...but im getting there. Got the brake light figured out.. cut some of the frame off and ordered new turn signals. Also put some pods on...

Ya if you look a couple posts back there's a pic of where the battery is going... I made a little box out of 1/2" steel rod to hold it in place. I still have more work to do with it but that's where it's going

Oh yeah, whoops, I had 3 different threads open in different tabs and I thought I saw that pic on a different thread.

That looks pretty good! I guess you can only use a gel battery now though.

K so I got a leather jacket today for free... then the idea came to wrap the whole seat in it. Since this is a budget build I figured I'd give it a shot. Im by no means a pro at this but I think it came out alright...

Back