New Guy

Thanks a lot man!!! I don’t have a lot of finished pics but here are a few of the build/assembly. I’m going to take a bunch in the next week or so, so I’ll post some more up it a bit.

The 21” wheel is from an unknown year yz125. Was anodized a horrible gold but stripped that with Easy Off and buffed it with a drill and buff pad. I think I have a before and after at home. Same axle size so made up 2 new spacers and was good to go. New Avon Speedmaster.

DSCN1966.jpg

DSCN2309.jpg

DSCN2311.jpg

DSCN2312.jpg

very very nice, that is a sweet ride.

Its great seeing so many projects on here which look the dogs.

Trav must have his calendar bikes by now

Man, thanks a lot!!! I pulled it out from its dusty slumber last night and started going over things again. It needs a good cleaning and a couple things fixed but i should be riding by this weekend. I really excited to see what my new jet configuration will do. I have an mysterious oil leak from somewhere too. It still full so it seems to be a small amount but i still need to find it.

Thanks again Drewpy!

When you lowered the rear, did you just relocate the top of the rear shocks forward? And are they the stock shocks? Looks easy enough. I want to do one of mine up in that style. And maybe in green, OD, Flake or really been kickin around British racing green.

I also like the fact that you didn't use a boring flat trailer style rear fender. Your looks more like a 36 Ford spare tire cover band, I have a few kicking around. Looks aggressive.

looks awesome:thumbsup:

Thanks a LOT!!!

When you lowered the rear, did you just relocate the top of the rear shocks forward? And are they the stock shocks? Looks easy enough. I want to do one of mine up in that style. And maybe in green, OD, Flake or really been kickin around British racing green.

Sounds bitching. That green is so rad, i'd like to use it on something someday too! Wow, the rear seemed simple in my head prior to cutting and i guess it is in theory but damn, it was a lot of work, hahaha. Basically i cut it right after the 2 mid down tubes and a few inches up from the bottom V near to swingarm to release the rear section. I used 4x4's, 2x4's and other scrap to set my ride height at about 4.5-5 if i remember right. I set my springs at about a 47 deg angle(i was told anything greater than 45 would be ok) and rebuilt the section using much of what i cut off. I really tried to continue the plain of the backbone into this sectione because it kicks up in stock form.I made a releif cut at the bottom to bring the rear frame section up to meet the new spring location. I made 1/8" gussets for the bottom and used internal slugs at all the joints. Since I kept the rear springs i didn't want a sprung seat because it would just be redundent and just more stuff so i made little perches out of 1/8". Once i got it all pieced back together, i made a crossmember to mount the seat perches on. Its super comfy and natural sitting on there, i'm about 5'10". I originally did use the stock springs but they were way to soft and worn out so i swapped to a modified HD set. I think they were a Sporty set about .5 longer. I had to narrow the top eye/busing/sleeve a bit on both sides to fit my top spring mounts and pressed out the lower HD bushing to replace it with the Yamaha bushing since the HD was the wrong since for the fixed rear mount. Hopefully that clears some up, if i left anything out, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks a lot for the kind words tho. I had a blast working on it and am stoked that some people dig it. I'm just hoping to ride it a bunch this summer.

I also like the fact that you didn't use a boring flat trailer style rear fender. Your looks more like a 36 Ford spare tire cover band, I have a few kicking around. Looks aggressive.

A lot of people use these and they look good but there is something about how it doesn't form to the curve of the tire that bothers me. I think i got mine for about $30ish which is about the same as trailer fenders since you can get 2-3 fenders out of a ring. I had the spare ring for a Triumph project that i sold off a year or so before. they are my favorite rear fender for bikes period. The braces are just 3/16 strap from Menards. I rounded the corners, bent the bottoms to fit the swing arm nicely and hammered a radius into the to top so the tuck under the fender and support it nicely.

I used the rest(its the fender that keeps on giving) on my BSA project.

IMAG0390.jpg

Back