New Member 77 XS 400

zm_08

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Figured it was time I'd introduce myself on here. I've been trolling around for awhile lol. For starters my name is Zach, 22 years old, and I am currently going to school for civil engineering.

A couple years ago I had bought a 77 xs400 from a friend who had lost his license. Figured I couldn't pass up the $300 price tag. I tore it down and sandblasted the frame and then got it powder coated semi gloss black. I have decided to go all out on it now and unfortunately am going to have to get the frame sand blasted and powder coated again after I cut the extra brackets off of it and replace some of the tail section.

There is one question I do have on it though.
I'm not a huge fan of the front drum brake. I do like the look of the spokes though. Is there anyway to find a different hub? I am going to get new black wheels with stainless spokes and I really want to get rid of that ugly drum brake up front.

Thanks, and hopefully I can get this thing done over the winter instead of putting it off any longer.

Attachments

• stock xs400.jpg
    stock xs400.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 361
  • sandblasted frame.jpg
    sandblasted frame.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 280
  • powder coated frame.jpg
    powder coated frame.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 305
I forgot to mention there is only about 8,000 miles on this thing according to the speedo. It also had great compression so I figured there couldn't be a better bike to restore/turn into a cafe racer

You have a 78 2-E there. As for the spoke disc wheels I have seen a few fronts but never rear ones here in the states they where never used. Over in europe they where a lot more common. A member on here drewpy seems to be able to find a lot of them maybe he could get a few and sell some to us in the states.

welcome ZM, the xs250 disk hobs are rare here too as spoke were considered old tech and not trendy.

I had to buy a whole bike just for those hubs they are on the resto and tracker with a spare rear I got cheap.

your front forks would need the later lowers to mount a caliper or you could try the SR front end OR the rs125 upside down forks!

Well the scarce front hub for an xs250 was kind of a let down. I did see a bike with the hubs painted/powder coated which I didn't mind the look of. Hopefully the powder coating can handle the heat from the brakes? I can't imagine the drums get all that hot anyway.

Hopefully get everything chopped off this weekend and start building the seat.

Well I finally got back to working on the bike. Today I cut off all of the "extra metal" including a portion of the rear seat frame. I also got rid of all the tabs that were used to hold various pieces on. I now have to figure out what to do for a rear fender. Next on the to do list is make a new wire harness, put the clip ons I got off of ebay on and figure out where I want to mount the rear sets.

clip ons.jpg

xs400 1978.jpg

Clip ons from ebay. Look like pretty decent quality for $80

cb750.jpg

Not sure what I want to do for paint anymore. I like the look of the blue frame with the silver.

dunstall.jpg

Also thinking about making this seat.

Got rid of the stock mounts for the pegs. Still waiting on my rear sets I ordered on the 9th from speedmotoco.com. Not sure if anyone has delt with them before but I'm not a fan of the customer service. Called them 5 times and only got an answer once. Asked what the deal was on the rear sets and they said they were gonna figure it out and give me a call back. Never received a call back...

Heres a pic of the frame again. Still torn between what style of a rear seat I would like to do.
rolling frame.jpg

Tore the engine apart just to check everything over. Didn't even have a scratch in the cylinders. :thumbsup: There seems to be a ridge in the top, not sure if thats a big deal probably just run a ball hone through them.

motor.jpg

Looks like I have a lot of polishing to do. Luckily I have access to a sandblaster to clean everything up first.

Attachments

• covers.jpg
    covers.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 263
After a month my rearsets finally showed up. Spent a few hours putting them on today. I used a 1/4"plate and welded it into the hoops on the frame where the rear pegs were. May be a little over kill but don't have to worry about any strength issues that's for sure.

rearset.jpg
rearsets.jpg

Getting back into the swing of things. Made myself a lift table which was a lot more work than expecting but for $375-$400 I couldn't have bought one. Hopefully I'll get some work done on the bike soon. Found someone on Ebay who put a wiring kit together with 11 different color wires, multiple sizes of shrink tube and conduit, as well as some fuse holders, electrical tape, and zip ties. Some pics of the lift table.

Attachments

• IMG_0012_2.jpg
    IMG_0012_2.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0011_2.jpg
    IMG_0011_2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0010_2.jpg
    IMG_0010_2.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0009_2.jpg
    IMG_0009_2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 295
Spent some time in the garage today and threw together an exhaust. Got all the tubing and silencer from cone engineering. Overall pleased how it turned out other however I have to bring the left cylinder header in because I don't like how far it extends out on the left side of the bike. Still pleased with it being my first attempt at making a system.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 316
Spent some time in the garage today and threw together an exhaust. Got all the tubing and silencer from cone engineering. Overall pleased how it turned out other however I have to bring the left cylinder header in because I don't like how far it extends out on the left side of the bike. Still pleased with it being my first attempt at making a system.

Looks good, I have a 1978 XS400 that I have a sidecar mounted to and once I get it so I feel it is running good and feel it handles the sidecar like I like I would like to build a 2->1 exhaust for it down the left side. I checked out:

http://www.coneeng.com/motorcycle_components.html

Lots of good stuff and prices don't look bad.

good start on ther exhausts. Like your determination to get them right as it makes a far better nachine in the end

I really have no deadline on the bike so I figure I might as well make it how I want it. If I didn't have another bike to ride, this would probably get more attention. Hopefully I can finally get it going this year.

Looks good, I have a 1978 XS400 that I have a sidecar mounted to and once I get it so I feel it is running good and feel it handles the sidecar like I like I would like to build a 2->1 exhaust for it down the left side. I checked out:

http://www.coneeng.com/motorcycle_components.html

Lots of good stuff and prices don't look bad.

The prices are alright. Make sure you check out the tech articles as well! Worth the reading.

Cleaned up the exhaust how I want it tonight. Some pictures of the much better design and a picture of the bike that makes me procrastinate on this project.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg