New Member, same bag of problems to overcome

Brent Schapansky

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi from northern Alberta. I got a '77 XS360 last winter. Traded it for a cheap Chinese 150 lb crossbow.

It is my next project in the shed. Only has 17K miles on the odometer, the engine turns over, and the exhaust is not rusted out or dented. It even came with a key, and everything is there and intact except the kick start lever and rear signal lights. Mind you, it was left outside under a tree for three or more years, so things like cables and rubber brake lines and master cylinders are dry rotted, cracked, rusted or otherwise toast, but hey, that's just maintenance items right???

It isn't my intention to keep it. If the bike passes the 1234 test (Air/Fuel/Spark/Start), I will overhaul it. If engine is a smoker or broken, I will part it out and give y'all first dibs. If I build it, after a test ride, it will be for sale. I will advertise it as a classic twin, excellent starter bike, etc. As such, I intend to keep fenders on it, renew the electrics, the brakes, the carbs, clean and refinish everything, put on better (lower) bars and a long cafe style seat, update the lighting to all LED and throw new tires on it and an AGM battery. I'll also tuck the mufflers up a bit higher as it looks as though they have begun to droop a bit.
My 77 XS360.jpg

Looks like a decent enough project, pretty complete, and has the front and rear disc brakes. The tank looks good, and if the mufflers aren't rusty inside you are lucky.

Back