New owner

MrStubb

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
:bike:Hey all Just a bit about me. Just found a 1980 XS400G with 15000 on the clock. Got it for cheap and it runs ok. Had a few bikes in my youth started with an old Sears minibike progressed to Bultaco 175 Honda sl350 (basket case) up to 1977. Took a long time from bikes to deal with life. Getting back into bikes Cheaply. Current rides 2 1972 Yamaha LS2's 1 Semi restored driver and current project XS400G. Thanks for the great advise on your chosen hobby I'm looking forward to getting things rideable Titled and licensed.

Welcome! Wish mine had such low mileage and ran ok, I'm jealous already

Pics! dont forget to post some ;)

Welcome here and welcome back to the world of motorcycle riding.Im middle aged and bought my first bike ever last year.I didnt want to for the longest time,I seen and heard about alot of bad experiences with them.Now myself I had a few close calls already but I enjoy riding my bike so much I wont give it up.Just the chance you got to take,I look at it like this if life wants to take me on my motorcyle then so be it but Id rather it be landing the biggest fish of a lifetime LOL.

Welcome! Wish mine had such low mileage and ran ok, I'm jealous already

Pics! dont forget to post some ;)

Nothing to be jealous about. There's lots of work to get it roadable and many missing or bodged up parts. It's winter in it's last throes here and 10" of snow yesterday pics are hard to get right now. Been thinking of a lite mod of the bike with mostly stock items. Possibly lower bars, new turn signals, removeing all the badges and some body mud to flush their place on the tank. Maybe flat black paint and a new modern type headlight with a replaceable bulb. Any thought's are appreciated as always. Oh also Since I'm the crazy guy from the north side I had to prove it. Took the LS2 out for a quick warm up ride after the snow plow went thru. Should have seen the looks from the neighbors as I went by. Priceless even if the bike is only slightly above a scooter. Snowmobile boots and suit no skidlid stockingcap snowmobile gloves Big guy little bike Must have been quite the sight. :wtf:

Welcome!

For a good headlight I'd suggest checking out local swap meets, automotive or motorcycle. I picked up a virtually new Bosch H4 motorcycle headlamp with bulb for $20 that was removed from a Harley. It has the correct beam pattern for a bike as compared to an automotive headlight. I later changed the bulb to a Bi-Zenon HID for lower power consumption and higher output.

I don't think it is strange to ride in the winter. I've been out 6 times riding a friends bike on a lake. I'm all bundled up and having a blast running hot laps on a twisty track that snowmobiles can't navigate. Studded tires are simply amazing! It may be difficult to walk on the ice without slipping and sliding around, but 40 mph and cranking through the corners is relatively easy with all the traction the studs provide.

We have an ice track just about 3 miles from where I live.Its pretty cool they have ice bike races every weekend.Then we have a good size river thats about 100yds across they ride motorcycles ,snowmobiles and cars,quads when it freezes over thick enough like it did this year.The ice 15-18 inches thick right now on both places.

We have an ice track just about 3 miles from where I live.Its pretty cool they have ice bike races every weekend.Then we have a good size river thats about 100yds across they ride motorcycles ,snowmobiles and cars,quads when it freezes over thick enough like it did this year.The ice 15-18 inches thick right now on both places.

cool,I watched the norway/swedish ice speedway championships last week, can't believe the grip they have. Shoulders on the track sometimes

Yep I know it's not really crazy to ride a cycle in winter. Heck those crazy Russians and Germans have been doing it since WW2 with the Ural and BMW's with a driven wheel on their sidecar. I used to run the Bultaco any time I could summer or winter. The trouble with that is I had to push start that one since there was little clutch left and the kick start was stripped. Tricky on an ice covered alley. I did find a used healight on Craigs list that was just delivered today. Has the whole mounting ring and bezel in pretty good shape. I'd just like to use something more modern with a replaceable bulb.

Back