New to Motorcycling and looking for some advice

darcymhanna

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
First off, hi. I'm new to riding motorcycles. I've been a passenger for many years, but last month I finally went out and got my license! Sorry if my questions seem uneducated, but I've got a lot to learn.

I'm looking at buying my first bike and I'm excited about the XS400.

There is a guy in my city selling a 1978 XS400 for $3000. From the research I've done this seems VERY high.

He bought the bike last year from a guy in the states who converted it to a cafe racer. He claims to have put on new tires, carbs and handle bars. He hasn't ridden it since last summer unit a week ago, but says it's running and ready to ride. Stored inside at a local motorcycle club. Needs a horn and fork seals. About 1900 kilometers (1180 miles). Has all the papers.

Here is a link to his ad:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3795294380.html

Is there any reason this bike should cost what he's asking? I realize he probably sank some cash into the bike putting on new tires, most sales I've seen go for less than $1000. Anyway, I'd really appreciate some advice on price and general things to be aware of if I buy an XS400.

Thanks in advance!

Wiith it being riding season you wont get as good of deal as in the off season but they can be found in good condition for around $800 and less stock.
I NOTICE THEY GUY IS RUNNING EMGO POD FILTERS.That just lowered the value by a couple of thousand.
Welcome here.
As for things to check look at the wiring,tires,oil and underneith the seat where the battery box is.Look for major sprocket wear also.Also know that these bikes dont make good hiway cruisers,they are very light and you will get blown off the road.
Im sure some other guys will chime in and fill in a few more details.

Hi and welcome. $3,000? Maybe if it was an all-original, absolutely mint show winner. It's not?
Then I agree. Asking price is at least double what you would pay in Ontario for a low mileage, ready-to-go bike. A couple of examples which are just nicely broken in but ready go with no work needed:The only way one could justify $3k would be if you absolutely loved his cafe, would do nothing different & would change nothing and, if you figured to make such a dream bike yourself, you would have to buy a bike for $1k and then invest another $2k in parts and labour. Getting your "dream bike" for the same price and not having to do any work or wait for it to be ready might be nice.:shrug:

But surely, :doh: that can't be your dream. When I found my Maxim (April, 2012) for $1k all in and nothing to replace for 13,000 kms, I was simply looking for a trouble free cheap bike of any brand and I bought the first one which fit that bill that came up on Kijiji. Happened to be a Yamaha and now I am a big fan. Could have been another brand just as easily.
Think of all the gas and gear you could buy for $1600 or $1700 :yikes:
I should mention the odd quirk with our nomenclature. There are 2 fairly different bikes called the xs400 - the classic sohc and the dohc. The links I copied are for dohc like mine, however, the bike you were attracted to is a sohc. If memory serves me (not an easy task these days), the 2 versions only overlapped in some markets for 1 year - 1982 I think.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. The XS400 is a great bike to start out on. They are realatively inexpensive to own. As for $3,000, that is way too much money for one. :yikes: I could probably sell you mine and ship it to you from Ontario for less.

My thoughts;

If you are new to riding and owning I suggest you stay with a stock bike to start with. It will be easier for you to get parts and do the maintenance and repairs as you learn about them.

When you do go to buy one take someone with you that has some idea of bikes for a second opinion. I am often being asked to go and look at certain vehicles with people and I tell them that may not be able to tell them what to buy but I will tell them what to run away from.

Here is a link to a post from quite a while back. While it pertains more to a non running project bike you will get a lot of insight into what to look for just by reading it;
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5859

LouRanger is correct about the two different bikes. 1982 was a transition year in that it was the last year of the SOHC (Single Overhead Cam) and the first year of the DOHC (Double Overhead Cam). I won't get into a discusiion about which one is better than the other but just be aware that they are different.

Start browsing this forum on a regular basis and you will get a feel about what the normal kind of issues are and what to watch out for.

Finally, if you have any questions at all get on this forum and ask. This place is a gold mine of information and experience and there are a lot of people here that are willing to help.

Good luck, and if you find one let us know what it is and post pictures, pictures, pictures.

Heres another piece of advice if you find a bike and the ownwer doesnt have title or all the proper paperwork unless you know that you can get that bike titled stay away from them.Theres alot of bikes out there that dont have titles so beware.

Thanks so much for all the great advice.

I emailed the guy with the '78 cafe racer asking if he'd lower his price, but I haven't heard anything back, so I may just let that one go.

However, I've found another that seems reasonable:

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...rs-choppers-1983-Yamaha-XS-W0QQAdIdZ486353056

Lou Ranger, it looks similar to the dohc bikes you posted. And yes, I am looking for something reasonable and trouble free. I'm far too green to take on a project bike at this point. I have been looking at hondas as well, but for whatever reason there seems to be more Yamahas available.

63 Coupe, thanks for the link.. Great help for me.

I'll keep you posted.

... I've found another that seems reasonable:

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...rs-choppers-1983-Yamaha-XS-W0QQAdIdZ486353056

Lou Ranger, it looks similar to the dohc bikes you posted. And yes, I am looking for something reasonable and trouble free. I'm far too green to take on a project bike at this point. I have been looking at hondas as well, but for whatever reason there seems to be more Yamahas available...
That one looks pretty good. If it were me, I would try hard to buy it. It is indeed a dohc Maxim just like mine. I would like it more if it was red, however, I suppose one can get used to anything :wink2:
Mine had 27k kms, a nearly new rear tire, a 2/3 new front tire and new fork seals and rebuilt disc brake caliper and new DOT3. Now, I have nearly 41k kms and I need a front tire. I have repaired NOTHING, not the carbs or anything else - just changed the oil and filter as per the recommended schedule (and I put a 17T front sprocket on) and replaced the chain a couple of weeks ago.

Mine cost me $1,000 all in. But then I paid $80 for the windshield (which is wonderful). Mine doesn't have the back rack on it either. If it is something you like and will keep and use, then it is worth something when you calculate your offer. Essentially, you are buying my $1,000 bike with a couple of valuable options. It should cost maybe $1200, right? I am not allowing for the possibility that the market out there might just be higher (it is a year later and the economy may be better ??), so don't totally low-ball the guy if the market value is actually $1,300.

If he will take $1,200 cash and you don't want it, tell him I will take and I will be out there to pick it up in about 5 days. :wink2:

For sure you should run out to Langley and try and buy it (ride it first though to be sure). If you get it for a price you are comfortable with you will not be disappointed.

Best to luck, and, if you get it, read all my posts so you don't do as much owner-inflicted damage.

Can't go by me but I would pass on it like a dead skunk. Not that the Café Racer is a bad bike or anything. I'm just too cheap to pay so much for what I think of as a toy. I think it's a pretty looking bike though. I think a reasonable offer would be in the $1000 to $1500 range at best. As you know every seller thinks they have diamonds and every buyer thinks he's buying rocks. As for the 82 Maxim. to me it looks like an honest showing and I think it's priced right if things check out.

Back