New to the site just got an xs400 maxim!

Got it all back together and firedher up. Uh oh! Must have put the base gasket on sideways. Oil was pouring from the right side of the motor!! So a quick tear down and flip of the gasket faired a much better result. Getting about 140 psi even on both cylinders. And glad I tore it down again cause this time I felt the timing was spot on! Cleaned the carbs out real good. Now I just need to charge the battery so I can try starting again. Hopefully this time I don't have an oil waterfall!!! Wish me luck. At the dentist now with my youngest. Will fire it up later tonight. Pics to come soon and as soon as Uncle Sam pays me I can start shopping.

Quick question. What tanks will easily swap to this bike? I have some cafe bars that big the tank. Would love to find something a little more streamline.

Also anyone from Florida on here? I have to take a motorcycle safety course to get my license! PITA! Costs about $200 and takes 3 days ( one of which I have to take off work)

Ah, the tank question.

Seca tank will fit. Other Yamaha tanks from the same year with the monoshock rear end will fit with some modification. Otherwise, you're into modify territory.

The problem is that the backbone of the frame is so fricken wide. Most bike aren't made for that kind of clearance in the tank tunnel. We need to start a definitive tank swap thread on this site...

Success!!! Fired right up first try! Had it idling pretty decent. Hard to tell for sure since the tach wasn't working. Got a small leak from the clutch cover. Any places good to get the gasket from? Other than that I'm pleased with the outcome. $30 for 2 new pistons and a bottle of oil and she's alive! So far I'm in about $200! Not too shabby I think! Can't wait to get the rest of the parts and have her running on the streets! Current look posted below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 189
Sounds good. I'll just get a full kit and have the spares!

Been racking my brain on the tank and seat! Can't stand the way it looks. Tank is way to wide and the seat is huge! Time to start researching and looking for some new stuff!

The seat is easy enough to cut down and recover (or chop the rear off and make it really small, like I am.)

Tanks are tougher. You could hammer the sides yourself for leg space, or build from scratch, but there aren't a lot of lovely thin alternatives out there...

Well Uncle Sam finally just approved my tax return!! So I ordered my rear lights, pod filters, and jets. Also getting my angle grinder tomorrow so I can cut down the exhaust and work on the seat. Of the seat doesn't come out the way I hope then I'm going to just fiberglass up a new pan and go that route. Looking forward to riding her! Took a test run the other day and felt great. But should be even more fun once I'm done. Will update with pics as I progress.

Wow! I ordered the jets from mikesxs Sunday and already got them today!!! We are in the same state but tha is still some impressive customer service!

Well I'm dripping oil from the front where the 2 smaller bolts are. Was I supposed to use rtv there? Or do I maybe have a bad head gasket? Looks like I'm taking the head off again to see what's goin on.

Hmmm... bad head gasket seems unlikely... but there are some oil guides that are super important, and may have been missed.

The good news is the second time is always quicker.

Back