New XS in Idaho! Oil Leak concerns.

Is it normal to have this much gunk up in here? I am thinking the gasket on the left is compromised.
20140426_154654_WMillerCt_zpsd4c2014b.jpg

Guys
So I have torn this all apart cleaned and added a new gasket. And now it has gone from a small leak to an oil gusher. I started it up and the oil was steadily dripping, I turned it off and tore it apart again. The pictures below is what its like now. From what I can see the oil seems to be leaking from the bottom right of the gasket, right where the rubber wire holder (thingy) is. I have no clue whats wrong. any suggestions?
20140507_162050_WMillerCt_zps5916e5b1.jpg

20140507_162019_WMillerCt_zps7ef81de5.jpg

20140507_162009_WMillerCt_zpsbe421678.jpg

Where the wires go through the rubber grommet tends to leak on these. The quickest and easiest way to "fix" it is to clean it well and put some yamabond around it. The other way is to cut in new wires and a new grommet. ( Not sure where to get the grommet tho)

looking very good and don't forget to cap those intake boots!
i have to say i really like 18" rear wheel. i may be a bit jealous.

if you haven't fixed that oil leak yet i have a suggestion: you said he was a mechanic and maintained this gem of an xs400 over the years. well i'm thinking that the left side cover may have been off. if that's the case, there is a very small part of the cover that has two leads running from it, for the generator. this gasket probably perished. i have a very similar oil leak and that's my diagnosis. ill keep you posted as i plan to tear my bike down this weekend.

by the way, mikes xs has a complete gasket set for almost anything you might need

... dammit there is a page two

Lewkmiller, I am pretty sure that Snake River Yamaha in Meridian has yamabond, or maybe check out Revved up Motorsports in Meridian, but would call him before making the trip.

Also off the top of my head, Canyon Honda (honda calls it by a different name) or Grizzly Motorsports. These are in Nampa/Caldwell area.

Thanks for the info guys! I just went and got some generic stuff from autozone. Pretty sure it will be fine. If not I'll go grab yamabond. Norman, yeah I was in to Snake River the other day picking up fuel mix needles shoulda got some then, oh well... I did catch a look at the new Yamaha FZ-09.... WOW...
fz-09.jpg

That thing looks sweet. One of the reasons I don't let myself in motorcycle dealerships...
Also noticed that Cycle gear is having Parking lot meet up today...

uploadfromtaptalk1399702683349.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399702700082.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399702718866.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399702745575.jpg
Status update. Started sanding the tank. Also think I got the main leak fixed. Found a new leak from the clutch push rod seal I believe. Saw video on how to change so it is on the to do list. Also found a crack in the alternator casing by one by one of the screws. Cause for concern? And part of my dime city order showed up. Check the new speedo!

Back