New XS400 Owner - Fork Retaining Clip Question

lbcemt

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Here's a little intro to get started off on the right foot:

My name is Ian, I am in Denver, CO. I just picked up a 1980 XS400 Special II a couple of weeks ago for $100. The guy said he was the second owner, has 21,xxx miles, and hasnt been ridden in 16 years. It spent eight of those years in a garage, the next eight outside (in the elements.) With the help of all you knowledgeable gents, I cleaned the carbs (which were ridiculously nasty with green slime oozing from them)

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1782/img0224wu.jpg

threw in some new oil and some seafoam, rigged up a temp bottle gas can, and she fired up, needs some fine tuning but at least I know she runs. There are things that need to be replaced (kill switch, starter relay, others) but Ill leave that for another conversation. So far I have picked up new sprockets, chain, fork seals, battery, tires, tubes, front brakes (the existing were rusted to the rotor). Ive been cleaning like a madman, and the such...Which brings me to my actual question.

Ive taken the forks apart, removed the seals to replace them, and while removing the retaining clip, found that one of them had literally rusted partly away. I have looked at all of the sites that have OEM parts and the part for this bike is no longer available. Does anyone have any ideas. Any interchangable 33mm clips that would fit?
img0237yr.jpg

I don't know where you can get them, but I have a rusty extra set of forks in my garage. The clips might still be good in them.

Alternatively if you measure the OD any inner style circlip should work so long as it is not too fat to fit in the groove.

Edit:

Found it.

OEM part number: 1L9-23183-00

Well...obviously I didnt look hard enough! I must have had the wrong part number cause I wasnt finding anything. Thanks BC and Drewpy, as always.

Some sites, like bikebandit, list their own part numbers and not the real oem ones. If they happen to be out of stock the numbers they list are useless for finding the same thing somewhere else.

www.cmsnl.com is my go-to site for fiche and oem numbers.

FRONT_FORK.png

So, I was unclear as to which part exactly I was looking for. The part is actually YAM Part# 1L9-23156-00-00, or number (5) in the above part schematic, not Part# 1L9-23183-00-00, number (21) on the schematic. It is the circlip that holds the fork seal in. I found this out since I ordered the part from partzilla (whose shipping takes forever) and just received it, knowing as soon as I saw it that it was not the right part.

So, I'll chalk it up to me not double-checking the part #, but all in all, I still have the same issue.

Im looking for part #1L9-23156-00-00 or a something that would work in replacement.

Back