Newby seeks advice - Yam XS250

nursejim

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, firstly apologies for intruding as I am actually a Yam XS250 owner, but I am desperate for some advice as I cant use my ride at the moment. My brother has given me his 1981 Yam bobber, however as I am quite short in the leg department I cant yet put both feet safely on the floor when sat on the bike.

Can anyone assist me with a fix to this problem that doesn't involve having a foot graft! Is it possible for me to fit shorter shocks? Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Jim:banghead:

G'day Jim,
Welcome to the forum.
How about a pic of the bike so we get an idea of what you are working with. Does it have a stock seat? How far are your feet from the ground when u sit on the bike?

Hi, I'm 5 foot 5 inches tall. It has an original seat I need to lower by about 2 inches to feel perfectly safe.
Cheers

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I did think about the solo seat route, but was worried as the battery I'd directly beneath the seat and installation could be a problem. I should say I have zero mechanical knowledge and skill. Is there anything I can do with the rear shocks? If I fit a shorter set would this lower the ride height?
Cheers

If you have zero mechanical experience then I would leave the shocks alone and mess with the furniture - if your shocks are in good condition why would you want to spend money replacing them. It is simpler as there should be only 2 bolts holding the seat in position. Modifying the existing seat would be the cheaper option as well.

How about calling your nearest automotive upholstery and ask how much for reducing seat foam height by 2". May need new high density foam too. They may be able to reuse your existing seat cover or you could get them to make a cool looking custom seat cover.

Or give it a go your self, there are plenty of youtube videos showing you how to cut down seat foam. If you screw it up then you can always give it to the professionals.

Cheers mate and post some pics or no more help from me :laugh:

Yeah I agree chop the seat down if possible. Every inch you make the seat thinner, is one more inch your feet will be closer to the ground.

Maybe try take the seat off, then sit on it with no seat and see if you can put your feet on the ground comfortably, then go from there.

If you still cant reach the ground with no seat you will need to lower the bike. Drop the triple and replace the rear shocks with shorter ones and your done :)

Hi guys, many thanks for the replies so far. I have posted a few pictures, any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated. Jim

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJEEFENiBKr(MBRI97!,Vlw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJEEFENiBKr(MBRI97!,Vlw~~60_12.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 321
  • $(KGrHqRHJFMFEUZEm2Q2BRI97kkGZw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJFMFEUZEm2Q2BRI97kkGZw~~60_12.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 333
wear a pair of these and leave the bike alone :bike:

81G5yjTIvWL._SL1500_.jpg

seriously, high density foam should help you can get it in 10mm depth or get the seat cut.

RK leighton in Brum can do it

Back