no power to headlight, cant trace problem

Follow the white 3 wires from the stator assembly, 2 of the three wires take a right, the 3rd wire goes to the left. just after the left turn, the Diode symbol is there. Physically on the bike, its found wrapped in Tape in the bundle, (hidden, kinda) left seat rail, forward of the battery. you should notice some sort of clear see thou tubing. That is it, it is meant to be swappable with an OEM, however this part doesn't go bad with out some serious abuse. So double check it, Test should be in the manual, The Diodes let energy go one way, so the multimeter should allow the test tone to work one way, then swap the test leads the opositte, and try, it should fail. that is how the bike converts AC current to DC. The Diode prevents any return for the electrons.:D

Attachments

• diode for headlight.jpg
    diode for headlight.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 338
:banghead:I'm stumped. I have a jumper in the relay so the headlight should be getting power whenever the key is on. The volt meter reads +\- 13 V across the headlight plug, but as soon as I plug in the headlight bulb, the voltage goes to zero. Same thing if I have a battery charger on the battery or engine running. The battery charger hooked directly to the headlight bulb lights the bulb, so it works. All the other lights, horn, starter, turn signals etc. work fine. The mysterious diode is out of the loop with the jumper replacing the relay. This is an 81 400 xs II. Any ideas?

Sorry about the short term memory, Did you get the book, and test the Rectifier, Voltage Reg, and the Alternator? Each one of these could be a trouble spot. I was concerned that I bought a relay, then it was the opposite gender relay. I felt my problem was in the relays. Then I was able to swap the relays, and test again. Once I did that It came on. I knew I had bad wires from the alternator (Stator) All three of them were brittle. I have upgraded the rectifier, adn the Voltage regulator was replaced, by a Orielly's Auto parts piece. Check my photo abulms out. Its in there(should be). Use the tips for re-wiring from Drewpies Re-wire listed under the tech section. Good luck.
tobie

Hi i have an 81 heritage special and replaced my blinkers with some cheapoes off of ebay and they stay on without blinking so i need to get a new flasher. I also do not have power going to my headlamp socket so could this wrong flasher affect the headlamp power? I am charging at the battery with the bike on at 14.65V so as i understand that would be well over enough power to trip the headlight relay. Can the headlight relay go bad? Can you test this?

richmond, can you start another thread as this one will get too big to read and you'll get less responses.

I had same problem with my headlight on my 81 Yamaha 400 special II but hacked out relay plug and tried automotive plug and relay but relay wouldn't work because the way it is set-up because bike needs to be running so after many hours of switch wire around gave up and ran jumper wire on relay plug harness so headlight is on when u have key on position but don't care. found relay on ebay but not buying used relay and according to part no. it is no longer available:wtf:

Back