Noob, need all the advice i can get, want to beef my 83 up and eventually cafe

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong.

Like I said, I do not have access to all the data for bikes like I do cars. But for the sake of explaining my thought, I'll make up a bike.

So the bore of the XS400 jugs is A (jugs, not the sleeves). You look though the data and find that a Honda ABC123 bike has a jug bore that is 0.100" larger than the XS. The Honda ABC123 piston and sleeve internal bore is a corresponding 0.100" larger. Pistons and rings for the Honda ABC123 are readily available.

So you bore out the XS jug by 0.100", press in the Honda ABC123 sleeve, and use the Honda rings and pistons.

The only issue you have to look out for then is piston height and wrist pin size. Hopefully you can find a piston with the same wrist pin to piston top height and you can simply use the ABC123 piston fitted to the XS rod. With the numerous similar sized bikes out there, I'm sure a suitable piston could be found.

I you cannot find a suitable piston to use on the XS rod, then you'd have to play around with piston/rod combos (which then causes you to take rod bearing size into account... which isn't too big of a deal... if it is smaller than the XS just turn down the XS crank). This could cause a lot more machine work and expense. But if you were able to find a piston with matching height then the only machine work would be to overbore the jugs and press in the new sleeve.

Agreed, you are not going to get much performance boost from that, but being that finding new XS400 rings and pistons is harder than finding hens teeth, this is a viable option to rebuilding one of these engines and keeping it on the road.

This sort of stuff is done all the time with automobiles. So am I missing something here, or can this also be done on these bikes (and many others)? Something I'm overlooking?

All I can say is start looking and make it happen:) I know others have tried looking for alternatives to stock parts but never posted any real or cheap results. If you can find a good plug and play it will be an epic achievement:)

Yamaha 530 has a 73mm bore (sleeve inside diameter). Yamaha XS650 has a 74.99mm bore (sleeve inside diameter). They make a "big bore" sleeve for the 650 that is thinner than the factory sleeve, and allows for a larger piston with the stock jug bore. That's with looking at two bikes just off of a quick Yahoo search.

If I had the data books it wouldn't be that hard at all. I can sit down and in a few minutes mix and match automobile parts across makes (like using a 318 rod in a GM engine under certain applications, etc).

Without knowing the outside diameter of the 530 sleeve or the outside diameter of the 400 sleeve, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that could work. First step is just find a stock sleeve that is slightly larger than the 400 (LOTS out there), then start searching piston heights.

Sadly this type of data isn't easily found online, so it'd need to be somebody who has stacks of manuals and/or access to a database. For instance, I have ALLDATA, but only for automobiles.

Thinking... with that "big bore" 650 kit, makes me wonder if there is enough meat in the stock sleeve to have it bored out just a tad. Talking about a very small amount. Not looking for performance, just getting it set up for a more common sized piston.

Without knowing the sleeve outside diameters and piston heights I'm guessing.... but a 1984-1985 Kawasaki KXT-250 sleeve/piston combo looks like it'd fit (diameter wise anyway... standard bore is 70mm). Quick search on eBay shows sleeves/pistons/rings are commonly available for that engine.

Last edited:
Sleeve height 107mm sleeve width 75mm and piston height 55mm. These numbers should be close but this was done with a low cost caliper. If you want to get a more accurate reading then you should take your engine parts to a machine shop or someone with a good one to get a better reading to be 100% sure:)

XSChris, mind taking one more measurement? Try and get from the center of the write pin to the top of the piston. Not too worried about total height.

Looked up some info and here is what I could find thus far. Assuming Levdir's manual is correct and the XS400 has a piston diameter of 69mm, we want to shoot for something in that range (or slightly larger). If XSChris is in the ballpark with 75mm sleeve outside diameter (which is more important), we need to compare that as well. It'd also be helpful to know the thickness of the sleeves.

I'm not finding the data on sleeve outside diameters. But I found a site where I could search for sleeves of all makes and models by inside (piston) diameter. This should give us a really good starting point and a way to easily narrow down the selections.

70.00mm Bore, for use on Honda®, ATV, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL106

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 70.00mm Bore, Arctic Cat, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1094

Part Number: LAS-FL1095

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 69.50mm Bore, Ski-Doo, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1149

Part Number: LAS-FL1159

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 69.72mm Bore, Polaris, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1189

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 70.50mm Bore, Ski-Doo, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1222

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 69.50mm Bore, Ski-Doo, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1224

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 69.75mm Bore, Ski-Doo, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1225

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 70.50mm Bore, Yamaha, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1226

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 71.00mm Bore, Arctic Cat, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1234

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 70.50mm Bore, Polaris, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1254

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 70.50mm Bore, Polaris, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1261

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 71.00mm Bore, Arctic Cat, Snowmobile, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL1272

Cylinder Sleeve, Chromoly, 71.00mm Bore, Yamaha, Motorcycle, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL510

Cylinder Sleeve, Powersports, Chromoly, 70.250mm Bore, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL5239

Cylinder Sleeve, Powersports, Chromoly, 70.000mm Bore, Each
Part Number: LAS-FL812

Part Number: LAS-FL845B

Part Number: LAS-FL88

Part Number: LAS-FL942

Part Number: LAS-FL949

Part Number: LAS-FL988

XSChris, mind taking one more measurement? Try and get from the center of the write pin to the top of the piston. Not too worried about total height.

I don't have the right tool to get that:( or any pistons with pins in them apart.

Somebody out there that runs a motorcycle shop probably has all the technical data sheets laying around with this information all on it. That's what we need. :D

the original title no longer fits this thread. If someone wanted to contribute or find this info it might help to create a new thread or implement a title change.

buy a single seat and make it fit ;)

usually includes some cutting and welding, depending on how big your replacement seat is. Most people cut the back end off and make a custom rear seat hoop.

Can everyone continue the discussion in the thread that Chris noted? I think the idea has merit, even if just to get commonly available parts. The head may need a different, thicker gasket if there is interference. Just may work.

Back