NOS tach cable packed with grease- remove or leave?

iamunique127

XS360C Owner
Reaction score
I received a NOS tach cable yesterday and the inside of the cable is packed with a heavy grease. The core will turn but there is definitely resistance.

Should I be cleaning some or all of that grease out of there or is that the way it is intended to be used?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack but I thought this would be an appropriate thread to ask, my tack and speedo needle bounce around but only after riding for more then a couple miles, I cleaned and lubed the cables with white lithium grease in an aerosol can. I work at a shop and was wondering if regular chassis grease, like for cars would work better? I would assume it would be more likely to be a cable issue rather then the actual gauges only because they are fine until I ride for a bit. Both cables are routed appropriately with minimal bends,and I pulled the cables all the way out to clean them and they looked perfect, if I have to invest in new gauges I will go all digital. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack but I thought this would be an appropriate thread to ask, my tack and speedo needle bounce around but only after riding for more then a couple miles, I cleaned and lubed the cables with white lithium grease in an aerosol can. I work at a shop and was wondering if regular chassis grease, like for cars would work better? I would assume it would be more likely to be a cable issue rather then the actual gauges only because they are fine until I ride for a bit. Both cables are routed appropriately with minimal bends,and I pulled the cables all the way out to clean them and they looked perfect, if I have to invest in new gauges I will go all digital. Thanks.

If the cables are good and lubed then it may be in the gauges. These are not mechanical but operate on a magnetic gyro. You can try to spray some light lube inside the housing and or some compressed air. If after that and some use ( especially if they have sat for a long time) they don't clear up you will have to replace them:(

Back