Oil pump issue?

Tombo

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey dudes

tell me, if you were to start your bike on the center stand, would the oil visible in the oil window decrease as the oil begins to circulate?

I see very little (if any) change in the amount of oil in the window, and the top end seems to get louder (and the trans sounds a bit "winey") after it's been running for 5-10 miles or so. However, my red light for oil pressure does not turn on (however, it does turn on when you first switch the bike on, disappears when it starts, and comes back on when you hit the kill switch).

Drewpy - you are suggesting opening to valve caps while it's running as a way to check to sump? Makes sense, but just wanting to make sure it's your suggestion before I go and try it.

If you open up the valve caps while your bike is running ,if the oil pump is working properly the oil will splash out of them.Drewps suggestion is correct.:)

How much splash do you get? Mine is less of a "splash" and more of an occasional small drop of oil that makes it out of the hole. I was expecting it to be splashing all over the place.

also - is it common for these oil pumps to stop working? I can't really find any articles dealing with this directly.

It will be a pretty good splash providing everything is working like it should.I dont have any other information about oil pumps on these bikes though.I does seem like something isnt working properly blocked passages,bad pump something is definately wrong.
Also did you take the cover off the sump yet to see if the screen is clogged?Theres a plate on the bottom of your engine with 6 bolts or something similair.

Yea, somewhere is a thread, where Owners where putting on Oil pressure sending units. since no one recent to then had remarked on it, the quickly found out the 20 to 40 psi was too low. If I remember right, 80 to 120 PSI. obviously please double check, there is enough keywords here for a search. (Oil pressure sending unit, PSI, 20, 40)

I did take the sump cover off, I would't say it was clogged persay, but there was some grit in there, and a few little metal fragments. I cleaned it all up and put it back together but have decided to wait on adding oil. Its there another way i can check if this pump is working? Or does anyone else have suggestions?

I don't think it should make much of a difference, but i do currently have two slow oil leaks I'm aware of: one at clutch push rod area and one at tachometer drive cable.

i

Posted via Mobile

, I would't say it was clogged persay, but there was some grit in there, and a few little metal fragments. I cleaned it all up and put it back together
:yikes:Thats not good seems like you are getting engine wear from the lack of oil.
I suggest you dont run the bike till you get this solved.I know theres people on here that have taken their engines apart they should know more about the oil pump or at least comment on where it is,how to check it,or how to replace it.I have a feeling its not going to be easy.

Attachments

• oil pump.JPG
    oil pump.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 137
Its located under the clutch basket. Three allen head bolts hold it on that's it. It just slides out.

Attachments

• DSC02071.jpg
    DSC02071.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 319
I don't think it should make much of a difference, but i do currently have two slow oil leaks I'm aware of: one at clutch push rod area and one at tachometer drive cable.

from Ebay paragraph
his has your crank case seals, clutch pushrod seal, kickstart seal, shift-shaft seal and tachometer seal! Replace them all if you are rebuilding your engine or just replace the ones that are the problem/ leaking seal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS40...-1981-1982-1983-1984-/380696640066#vi-content

note the seller for that kit, appears to be away, I am sure there are others on ebay with the same kit?

This is something I haven't done yet, but want to. (are you down with OCD, You know me) but I have found that not one of the OEM carriers have the Tach seal, the Clutchrod seal I thought I was buying for 7 bucks, now seems to be 10 bucks plus s/h. I didn't know about this kit till about a month ago. :banghead:

Another option in a thread from last year, someone bought a stock of metal dowel, and machined it to the diameter to plug up the tach hole. He probably out of stock by now, there was quite a demand for it.

Back