Oil settles very slow

Gotanubike

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I noticed after driving the bike, that the oil can take up to half an hour to settle back to the oil level window. Sometimes it will settle to only half full and other times to the top marker. Also, I took the valve cover off and there is oil pooling in the top of the engine. Is this normal? I want to change the oil but am afraid that I might not remove all the old oil...

its not possible to remove all the old oil unless you do a full rebuild just get out what you can by letting it drain awhile and changing filter. You would not want to remove all the oil or you would be starting dry which would cause quite alot of damage if done over and over. The pooling up top is fine it needs to have oil up to. Infact if it hasn't been started in a couple years probably a good idea to shoot some oil up top as it may take some time for the oil to get up there.

Shaun

Arg, I will agree with Shaun. Don't worry about getting all the old oil out and it's normal for it to take a while for everything to settle. The cam lobes also have little oil trays under them that, I presume, keep them heavily lubed all the time.

Back