Opinion & Review of Mac 2-1

BamaBill

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've done a lot of bolt on mods to my bike mainly because the bike was in such great shape when I got it that I didn't want to molest it. I have the 1982 XS400 Heritage Special. I've just about got her all back stock now including the intake and original style filters and jetting. I currently have some shorty cherrybomb style mufflers on the original headers. I regret hacking my original pipes, but that's what we do.......instead of finding and old set of originals, I've been looking at the 2-1 complete exhaust that MAC makes. I really like the black headers with chrome muffler. What is anyone's experience? Is the fit ok? Performance? I'm not looking for loud, would actually like it to be quiet as possible, but I really dig the look of a 2-1.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

I have the black and chrome 2-1.

It looks good, but some of the black paint near the engine exhaust outlet burned off.

Performance is great and the weight reduction is HUGE.

Sound is moderately loud with the baffle in. It's not crazy or whatever, but it is far from quiet. It sounds good. It's about as loud as most large aftermarket exhausts (I mean large, like a 14 inch pipe or more, not like those stubby ones that tend to be used these days).

I would buy it again. If I cared enough I could touch up the headers with flat black exhaust paint, but it looks fine.

I am with BC, I have the same, Black header, and chrome pikes, I am glad I have it. I can drive from home at 3am in the morning for work, and know I won't wake up the neighborhood with my bike. I don't' need to rev it up, to get it going. Like BC, my header pipe has flaked some black paint off.

Thanks guys, from what I'm seeing I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and makin a move with it. I'll post pics and my personal review in the coming week or so! Thanks!

Why did I wait so long? I'd recommend this exhaust to anyone! I took my pods off, got tired of not getting the hesitation out of it. No matter how much I adjusted the needles, synced carbs, played with the air adjustments it only seemed to move my hesitation to different rpms.....went back to stock intake setup, back to stock pilot jets 42.5. I went with 137.5 mains, just a step above stock. Re synced the carbs and adjusted the air screws. Runs perfect, great acceleration and top end. Now to repaint my side covers. I've got new stock Heritage Special emblems......why the hell did I ever take this thing apart anyhow?.... back all stock except the handlebars and exhaust....and lovin it!

Attachments

• almoststock.jpg
    almoststock.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 395
I agree, what you've left it at is probably best. The stock ergos are very good; I was just recently considering putting the stock handlebars back on mine.

ebay is where I got mine also.... I tried to go back to stock handlebars, just can't do it.... my VTX has 16" apes, I had my 400 brat style with clubmans, back always hurt. Then I went with Daytona style, just didn't look right, so I put the TCBros on like you see it and it's as comfortable as a 6'2" 200 pound guy can get, plus I think it gives it a crazy different look.

HAHAHAH! That's a good one!....The muffler is a slip on so If you don't like the muffler you could get another type of slip on for the header. I really like the sound of the Mac. It's quieter than the cherry bomb style slipons with baffles I had on the stock headers. A lot better performance.

are those the 9" lane splitter bars?

Yes they are! I had them for awhile, 1st time I installed them I was like, na, not the look I wanted and will not work with the quarter fairing. With the quarter fairing you stuck doing something very low café racer style. I'm 6'2". It hurt my back every time I rode just around town. I tried several other bars and went back to these. These seem to be the most comfortable for me on this particular bike..... be aware of powder coated bars though. Must shave down the powder coat on the left hand controls just to get a good ground for the starter. Took me some time to figure that one out.

And is it a pain in the butt to get the bike running good ? ( Talking about carbs adjustments )

No, +1 on the pilot and +1 or +2 on the mains; done. Just adjust the idle mixture a bit.

Back