Please Watch and Prepare: Correctly removing a downed riders helmet video.

Drewcifer

1976 XS 360 Maniac
Reaction score
How to remove a downed riders helmet correctly.

Two man job.

Thanks to Mrmaxstorey on youtube. His channel is like going to motorcycle school.

Drewcifer

That's exactly what I did to my friend who crashed at the moto-x track last month. Scary stuff seeing a buddy fly away in a helicopter...

Doesn't hurt to know what to do in an emergency, and remember: Don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash.

Hm, to what end should one remove a downed motorcyclists helmet? Wouldn't it be better to just leave it on until the professionals arrive?

BC, it's explained in the video. If your friend is aspirating blood, you'll need to remove the helmet to assist, also, for cpr and assisted breathing, you'll need to remove the helmet and keep the neck aligned as the breathing is done.

Hm, to what end should one remove a downed motorcyclists helmet? Wouldn't it be better to just leave it on until the professionals arrive?

This. As a paramedic, I always tell people that if the patient has a patent airway, DO NOT attempt to remove the helmet. Full face helmets do a reasonable job of maintaining neutral c-spine alignment.

If you are first on scene, lift the visor to assess an airway. Be sure to have a friend stabilize the head while doing this (if available). Even if they are unconcious, if they have a clear airway, wait for the medics! If airway is compromised, remove the helmet while protecting c-spine as best you can. Life over limb.

That said, the video is well done and it's definitely a useful skill to know.

Back