Pod Conversion - Help needed

Good on you for getting some stuff sorted. When you say you used a carb tune, do you mean a Gunson Colortune?

Did you adjust the idle mixture screws on the top of each carb on the outlet side at all? If you didn't, that would be the next step before you do anything with the needle positions.

Good on you for getting some stuff sorted. When you say you used a carb tune, do you mean a Gunson Colortune?

Did you adjust the idle mixture screws on the top of each carb on the outlet side at all? If you didn't, that would be the next step before you do anything with the needle positions.
thanks for your reply. it's a kit called carbtune. u plug it in on the stubs between the carbs and engine.its like a graphic equaliser it balances the carbs by adjusting the screw set in the middle of the carbs .the mixture screws are turned out 3.5 turns this is where I'm getting the fastest idle .if I screw them back in 1.5 turns the engine starts to die at 2 turns out ?

Mixture: A lean mixture is felt as surging. The bike pulls, then doesn't, then does, then... Closing the throttle a bit makes it go away instantly. Many mistake a rich misfire as lean surging. I know I did.

Pods: Reconsider. Unless you are willing to invest many hours testing and tuning, or put up with a bike that doesn't run well, pod filters are not worth it. It has taken me 3 years of constant testing, adjusting, and learning to get my bike to run as smooth as stock. I had to remove the stock air box when I did my suspension modifications, so I had no other option than to use pod filters. Sure, it is now much louder, and may make the same power as stock, but it wasn't worth the effort.

I was speaking with a guy last week who is ready to sell a bike just because of pod filters. There were 3 other old-timers around, all nodding in agreement. They have all learned the hard way, and know better, now... CV carbs don't like pod filters.

If you aren't yet convinced, do a search here and read of the misery others have experienced. Also watch some Youtube videos and listen to how poorly the bikes run. Coughing, spluttering, misfiring... Still not convinced? Think you can easily accomplish what others can't? Then go ahead. Be sure to spend the $ to get good filters like UNI foam filters, or K&N. Then buy a box of quality (not the cheap knockoff) main jets, in pairs, ranging from 117.5 to 135. Consider making stacks to mount the filters onto. Then invest many hours testing, tuning, and taking detailed notes, rather than just riding.

Bottom line: Don't do it.
Well said

Back