Pod Filters Question

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
Local bike mechanic told me I could replace my stock air filters with clamp on pods. When I started to take them apart I noticed a tube from the middle of the balance pipe to the crank case. Can someone tell me what it does and how I can make the pod filters work with it. My bike is a '77 XS400 and I am a n00bie in the MC world :) any help would be appreciated. Also, I read that you need to rejet when you put on pod filters, is this true? Can I ride for a day or two without rejetting?

I just read it is called a "breather tube" and people often use a Power Brake Check Valve on it which is a 1 way valve and then route it to the ground or back to their filters. Can anyone verify that this is a legitimate solution? Didn't, however, find any answers on the carb rejetting.

I run UNI pod filters on both my bikes.. 6" + outerwear covers (waterproof with minimal harm to airflow) on the bonnie and 4" filters on the yama build. I had K&N's but swapped to UNI's for price and no loss in function. Trade for air flow to filtration. You'll notice a big difference if you get the jetting right. Might as well change up the exhaust while your at it!

you can put a small crankcase breather in its place

!CBwNvBQCWk~$(KGrHqMOKkEE0ePJHpVIBNI4VkWkpg~~_12.JPG

Back