PODS and Jets

striker85

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Not really a question, but more of a informational tid-bit. While working on my wife's xs400 (81) I inadvertently disposed of the stock airfilters since the paper was all but there. Little did I know how valuable those metal frames were. Doh! Anyway, I picked up some cheapo Emgo pods and it ran like ballsack. After doing some reading I put 142.5 mains and 50 pilots in and it runs like a raped ape. Just putting this out there to maybe help someone out who is mucked for getting air filters.:thumbsup:

I'm not entirely sure. I don't know these bikes too well. It has a single exit exhaust, if that is stock.

nope, not stock. do you have a pic by chance? did you try a smaller pilot at all? the 142.5 main sounds consistent with what i've seen here. most people here also say 1-2 sizes up on the so i'm wondering if the 50 is overkill. did you adjust the mixture screws at all? i'm going to be running something similar on my bike so this is a great reference.

The mixture screws are at the book recommended position. I didn't mess with smaller pilots and just went up a size or two, the don't remember the stock numbers off hand. I'll see if I can dig up a picture, but it just collects the two headers under the pan and comes out the right side with a single megaphone. I put the new jets in, that's really the only change I made...can't say the same for the PO...as always,.

That is true. i believe the pilot jet was a 37.5 for our bikes stock and mains were 137.5

that helps, it's always good to know what works. i wonder if your's would still run as well with a smaller pilot. not sure i want a raped ape, if i recall a chimp ripped someone's face off once. i can only imagine what an ape can do. my uncle rebuilt his sporty 883 and punched it out to 1500, swapped the top 3 gears from a buell, went to a smaller rear pulley and a taller rear tire and a shot of nitro for fun. that was a raped ape. i rode it once and it scared the shit out of me when i hit 120 in 4th gear.

That chimp that mauled the woman was here in CT. That was some crazy shit.

Anyway, I'm thinking 50's weren't the right number. I wanna say 45's. I'll have to look this afternoon.

Back