Push Rod seal

smurfy71

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have ordered a new clutch and a seal for the push rod, as mine is leaking. I have looked through the manual and the forum, but can see an answer to my question.

Is the seal replaced on the clutch side or from the push rod side? Even the parts diagrams don't really show where it is exactly.

Google is your friend. I went though 2 or 3 my first time changing it out. with a month waiting time between, cause I ordered online(atleast it seem like it then) I had changed my bottom case, so there was a bur, and it was ripping up my seal every time I put one in there . Then eventually I sanded the bur away. Now I have a spare, just incase.

It seems to me, a decent pry awl will pull out the old seal, just do not loose any of the bearings. There is a ball bearing on either side of the rod. One is hiding in the clutch actuater, and then the one that presses on the t shape peice, that pushes the cluctch around. Till this year, I never had a problem, then I seen the ball come out with the clutch. So good luck

So I replaced the seal, but my push rod is broken in half. Not sure how this happened, but back to the parts counter...... I guess I'll wait and replace the clutch when I get the new rod.

Back