Question about front brake pads.

XS-Time

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
When I bought my 81 XS400 SH I knew that the front caliper was starting to seize. When I got around to taking it apart several months back I found that the pads had worn unevenly. There was quite a difference in thickness between the top and bottom of the pads.
I was looking on the EBC website for the pads and found they had a nice line drawing of them. It showed them new with a taper. The inner and outer pads had opposite tapers so when they are placed together the backings are parallel.
I have never seen this before and don’t see how this could grip the rotor properly.:confused:

Any explanation or comments would be appreciated.

the same for me! when I bought it and I did an inventory of parts to change, I told myself that the front bake pads was very used!
I was really surprised when I received the new with the same design!:doh:

I ordered a new set for this reason, thinking they were worn on an angle. My old ones were not worn at all actually. It is a weird design, as there really is only about 3/16" of pad that is usuable

Thanks for the replies. It’s good to know I’m not the only one who thought this was odd.
I guess I’ll have to take another look at my pads. Maybe I don’t need a new set.:)

Back