Question for the machinists.

Unkle Crusty

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
XS400 monoshock with roller bearings in the swing arm. The bearings are available, the matching shaft / bushing is not. The old shafts gets rusted and pitted.
Could the old shaft be turned down, and a bronze bushing be machined to go between the shaft and two new roller bearings?

Unkle Crusty

I don't believe so. The bronze bushing material isn't hard enough and the rollers will damage it. Bearings need to run on hardened steel.

The challenges you are facing are why I have done a rear suspension refit...

Cmsnl.com claims to have one bushing in stock. Unlikely but possible.

Might be cheaper going the machinist route.

Dave. Agreed. I would be interested in what you did.
Drewpy. I posed a question along those lines in another thread. The bronze bushings are available for other models, so is the bushing. Would likely need Yamaha part numbers for bushing shaft, bronze bushings, and be sure they all fit a mono shock suspension.
BBS. I checked many US and Canadian sites. No luck.

To all. I bought a bushing shaft from England. Total cost to get it to my mail box. $74.15. I do not know if he has any more. Be pleased to email him, but after my bushing is in my hands.

I have my back wheel bearings and seals changed, wheel in the swing arm, and new roller bearings in the swing arm. All set to roll it in.
Have two pod filters on the way, and modifications done to the air box.

Unkle Crusty

Rather than going to different supply stores, I got the bright idea to just type in the part number in Google. That lead me to a UK eBay site.

Unkle Crusty

Back