quick Q on installing oil pump & nuetral switch

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all hope everyone is well :)

I just got a question on oil pump install. In the manual it says to position it and check with a fila guage (0.015) between the two centre meshing teeth and tighten up the bolts when its just gripping. How important is this adjustment it seems very fine? And I just wanna make sure im putting the fila guage in the right spot, can anyone confirm the correct spot to place the fila guage?

Also just a minor one on the oil switch. It say to put a little smear of sealing compound on the tapered thread of the oil switch...wheres the tapered thread?

Im pretty sure I didn't check either of these things on my last rebuild and it was all fine but Im being extra careful with this one im trying to do everything textbook lol.

any help is most welcome :thumbsup:

You don't need to take apart the oil pump and spec it to install it unless you think it is worn out or not working. As for the oil switch (the on that screws in) I have always just screwed it in till tight and never had a leak. I guess you could use a little yamabond on the threads to make a better seal. :shrug:

Hi, chris thanks for the help :) Im not taking apart the oil pump, but in the manual it says there is some horizontal movement when installing. So from what I understand from the manual is that you have to spec it somehow with the up and down movement after bolting it in with the three bolts loosely. And when I have it on with the three bolts lossely it does move up and down slightly. The other rebuild I did I just bolted it up and it was fine. I may have misunderstood the manual but it sounds like they are talking about mounting it up?

As for the neutral switch im just gonna snug it up, I agree it probably doesn't need the sealing compound on it.

Yes I did the same thing with one of my oil pumps and had no issues. Mounted it up and 5k miles later it still works fine. The neutral switch just need to have a good o-ring in it and snug it up but not too tight. If you do it can crack the plastic housing.

Back