Re-connect clutch cable end in clutch on XS400 12E

puffybodie

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

for whatever reason during winter my clutch cable disconnected in clutch. So that I'm able to remove it completely from clutch. There's no damage on cable and such, but of course my first bike and first time trying to "fix" something like this.

The problem is that manual doesn't describe replacement as such, nor manuals available here on forum.

Sure trying to find on Internet some more details, but if anyone has pictures or document how is that done internally then I will be very thankful.

Hoping that it can be done "magically" without need to remove cover from clutch/engine as I had new oil during autumn and bike is full now :-(

Ok, first part of engine manual there are some pictures so in theory it's 6 screws then I can remove cover and behind it supposed to be thing where to connect that cable. Based on clutch draw it's supposed to be behind clutch adjustment screw/nut

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115087&postcount=6

This might not be the direct route, but the answers are there, I only spent 5 seconds and one keyword search. Your answers are, or should be inthat next thread.
Tobie
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110598&postcount=33

Then under the manual, has the route for the cable. Get or download the 45 meg file, with the supplements. (should under the sticky marked Manuals) There is some specific advice, which I don't remember, one is to reset the top (handle bar) adj screw, 2 is how to adj the thing under the cover with the 6 screws.
if it broke, it is good to look at the stuff under there, sometimes the spring hole is going to wear it self out, or the tab, that keeps the cable in place needs to be bent back into place.

Last edited:
Hi,

I tried to look for some stuff here of course, but was not much sucessful and your first link is about something else too (but there are some bits in follow up links at least partially connected to my problem). I can't see in those manuals where is the end of clutch cable connected in the box behind those 6 screws, but will know for sure next week :)

Second link is about adjustment and that one is available in manuals here on xs400.com. However till cable is back no adjustment possible.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13910 part break downs
Here is a pic from my profile albums. you can see the parts at an angle to the flat face of the parts breakdown.
full

full

One other pic, with Rust all over everything

YES, that's IT ! Just have no idea why it went off during stand in garage :-( But if something broken or it just went off without any damage I will know once cover removed (my tools doesn't fit on one screw far right down from front view and philips screw has damaged head :-()

Have no idea how is that in english, but for strange reason 1 out of 6 is philips head screw which is damaged and did not go out even with glue on steel on screwdriver, rest are socket head, 4 went out fine, last one is not accesible by my available tools, too long so they don't fit in that place :-( One guy will help me next week with that so then I hope will be running again, supposed to snow again anyway during end of this week :)

But thanks a lot for pointing out first link which has important follow ups which I will read, for tips and for pictures of internal layout of that part so that I have idea what to do. Trying to learn as much as possible especially on easier stuff to be able to fix those small problems on my own in future.

Weak spot with the spring, I had to put some JB Weld in there to help prolong the life of the lever.

TAB issue? not with me.put I suppose a PO, could have had issues.

Attachments

• weak spot.png
    weak spot.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 359
  • weak spot1.png
    weak spot1.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 314
So in the end cable was really "only" disconnected from place it belongs. Not sure how it can happen anyway.

Now trying to find proper previous setup of clutch and cable as initially it was ok, but after heat up it "slides" on 1. Not sure if it's because of different tension in cable, clutch adjustment or that Castrol oil for 4 stroke bikes :)

Ok, this seems will solve my problem http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=120532&postcount=5 , it's quite different from setup described in manual and will be reason why my clutch slip so much that I'm not able to pull off lever no matter how slowly without slip and "die" of engine.

Because based on manual I pulled adjust screw in A LOT and then like 1/4 back. But that is TOO much based on description on that link so I removed free play completely or nearly completely.

As well manual doesn't say that for setup on engine I need to loosen on lever like is described in that link.

Back