Rear brake switch??

dodger0129

amatuer/enthusiast builde
Reaction score
Just a thought.......been making a new brake rod and connections for my rear drum.....is a rear brake switch strictly necessary,being that the front brake has a perfectly working switch,and it's rare that you apply the rear without the front.......anybody got any thoughts on the subject????:shrug:

I use my rear brakes to tell cars when I'm decelerating. I lightly apply the rear brake just enough to turn the brake lights on, but not engage the brake. If a car is following too close, I flash the brake lights at them. And I use the rear brake often, when maneuvering at low speed, without using the front brake.

So my thoughts would be to definitely connect the rear switch. And that is without taking local laws into consideration...

In turns, you should only use the rear brake. Sure, 9 out of 10 times you brake you'll use both, so it doesn't really matter, but I'd connect it anyways just for that 1 out of 10 times.. But I have to admit when the spring for my sensor was stretched, I rode around without a working rear switch for months..

Hey guys, total noob here, just bought an '84 Maxim as my first bike and trying to get my rear brake light to work (amongst other things). I do not see anything that looks remotely like a switch... chances it's been removed and what would it take to replace?

Welcome compumage!

The rear brake light switch on Maxim's is mounted to the rear and below the battery, just inside the frame. It's spring runs parallel to the frame down to the pivot for the brake arm. It should be clearly visible if it is there. If it is missing, you will either have to get one, or fabricate something.

You can download the DOHC service manuals from the sticky at the top of the Garage. The electrical section has drawings to show where components are located.

Back