Rear wheel stuff

JPaganel

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got the parts together to address my sticky rear brake. I couldn't quite figure out how to get it off, so I pulled the rear wheel. That, apparently, was a good thing. The bearings are very scratchy.

The brake piston was cruddy and scratched. I have a new one. I will also replace the hose. I will see about having a braided steel hose made.

Parts research shows bearings to be fairly generic. They are B6304ZZ small ball deep groove bearings.

Also took a look at the tire. Probably could use a new one. The original 1978 alloy wheel tire is specced as 3.50-18. Looks like that translates into a 100/90-18 tire.

Dont forget to remove the inner sleeve from one of the wheel bearings and put it in the new one. I removed mine using some very 'fine' angle grinder action, a bit brutal but it did the job. I carefully sliced into the bearing and peeled it off the INTACT inner sleeve. A dremel would be great for the job. Or maybe you can just buy a new inner sleeve. I pressed my inner sleeve into the new bearing in a vice. The bearings are very common, buy them from a bearing shop not a motorbike shop be much cheaper and buy the japanese ones. Just take the old ones in theyll find them easy. Cost me 8 bucks each :)

(as you can probably tell, I did mine just recently lol)

I just ordered a pair of Japanese bearings from ebay. $8 apiece. Chinese ones are $3. I figured for the price difference I'd go with Japan.

Got the bearings, and they don't fit. The listing in the parts catalog is wrong - they are not 6304ZZ, they are 6303ZZ.

Ok, so I was only partially right here.

I finally got the bearings out and they are a different size. So there is one 6303 and one 6304. The 6304 takes a bushing.

To get them out I used a bearing puller form Harbor Freight. It's about $45, and it's worth it.

I pulled the smaller bearing first - that's the one on the brake side. I had to heat it up with a propane torch a little. Not too much, I think it wasn't enough to affect the temper of the steel, so the bearing probably could be reused. Then I took out the spacer and pounded the other bearing out. Used a regular large hammer, didn't even need the mini-sledge.

A word of caution - the reason the smaller (non-bushed) bearing needs to come out first is that the bushing is relatively soft and using a puller or a punch against it will mess it up. I tried the puller on it once and gouged the inner rim. It wasn't irreparable, I dressed it with a round file, but that's easily avoided.

Once the larger bearing was out I easily smacked the bushing out of it by placing it on a roll of electrical tape and using a socket to drive it.

I put the new bearings in with a piece of 2x2 wood and a large framing hammer. The larger one first, a 2x2 fits perfect in that side. The same piece of wood will drive the smaller bearing, but the corners of the wood will shave a little.

Bearings are done. Now, on to the brakes.

Back