Reassemble Top End

jthiessen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,
Finally getting a chance to put together my top end (pistons, jugs, valves) after re-honing my cylinders, new piston rings and a valve tune up. This is my first time, so I want to make sure I am not missing any gaskets or pieces. I've purchased a gasket set off ebay and was just hoping for a bit of clarification.

A few questions referencing the image attached:
s-l1600.jpg
- Do I need to use the two rings labelled 1?
- Which gasket do I start with, then which one is between the jugs and valves? (image 2 or 3)
- I'm assuming 5 are for the valve tappets
- what is 4 for?
- Are 6 for valve stem seals? do i install these?
- What are the 7's for?
- and i'm assuming 8 is exhaust?

Thanks!!

-The #1 o-rings keep oil from getting betwen the cylinder liner and jugs. Yamaha thought they were necessary but just how important they are is up for debate. Some other motors don't have them at all. Big bore kits often involve machining the recess away so they get left out.
-Cylinder base gasket first, #3, then #2 is the head gasket between the cylinders and head/valves.
-Yep.
-#4 will be for the neutral switch
-#6s for the valve stems. Install them if you have a valve spring compressor.
-The 7s on the left are oil seals for the passage that goes up the long cylinder bolt at front left.
-The 7s on the right go under the threaded plugs for the rocker arm spindles, on the opposite side from the points cover.
-8 for exhaust

Back