rebuild question....ring sizes

dongrady

dbgrady
Reaction score
anyone know if 1st oversize will be ok with stock pistons? i couldn't find stock size rings and i got a first oversize set for really cheap. decided to get them and figure it out later.

Guess since you have overbore sized rings, you'll just have to buy overbore sized pistons.....and then do a write-up as you dive into the project of installing them....lol

not in the budget yet, it's just an engine that was laying around. i'd rather find some stock rings.....but i wonder what's out there for performance pistons...might see what i can find.

not in the budget yet, it's just an engine that was laying around. i'd rather find some stock rings.....but i wonder what's out there for performance pistons...might see what i can find.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that there probably isn't anything "performance" related that is available as far as pistons. Now taking bigger pistons from another make/model bike and making them work may be a different story. I know a lot of KZ400 riders use Honda CB pistons to get a little more power. Let us know what you find though!!!

Didn't someone on here recently 'flag-up' a rare big bore kit that used to be available?

Mind you, probably as rare as rocking horse sh*t !!

it was just a wiseco pistons, and the bores were sleeved, bigger valves fitted.

xs450upgrades.jpg

xs450valves.jpg

xs450pistons.jpg

First,the cylinder,piston,and of course the rings must be the same size to work.Anything that you do other than stock will be much more expensive.Having said that,Dennis Kirk has performance cams,valves,etc for these bikes,though I didn't notice the price. lha

First over rings can be used on standard pistons by filing the gap in the rings so they fit the cylinders with the right gap.
Same as fitting any rings to the cylinders.
Leo

Back