rectifier

sicncrazy5150

XS400 Member
Reaction score
not sure but does the rectifier housing need to be grounded. It was bolted to the frame through the center and now with the changes to my bike i have it attached with 3M double sided tape.

I don't think so mine on my tracker is mounted to the plastic inner fender and still works fine after 1400 miles.

My wire harness for both the Voltage Reg, and the rectifier, have a ground wire in each bundle. The Voltage Reg I just put into my bike, I just attached a black wire, to a ring terminal, to the voltage reg connector.
This thread has some info for you
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7707&page=4
The one picture not pictured in that thread made it to my gallery.
full

Good luck
Tobie

not sure but does the rectifier housing need to be grounded. It was bolted to the frame through the center and now with the changes to my bike i have it attached with 3M double sided tape.
I am glad I checked this forum. I had the same question as the bracket attaching mine under the battery box was trashed during removal. So, I am safe just attaching it to the plastic inner fender?

There is a chance that the connection to the metal is a grounding purpose. so a plastic fender doesn't always serve that purpose. (okay, never serves that purpose)
Tobie

which is why I ensured mine is grounded, with a screw/bolt and wire to a ground point. (I might have put it into the ground point in the wire harness as the previous. (I think)

There is a chance that the connection to the metal is a grounding purpose. so a plastic fender doesn't always serve that purpose. (okay, never serves that purpose)
Tobie

which is why I ensured mine is grounded, with a screw/bolt and wire to a ground point. (I might have put it into the ground point in the wire harness as the previous. (I think)
Would this same logic be applicable to the CDI control unit, tapping a grounding lug to the frame?....aaand is the battery safe mounted at the swing arm or will it move too much?

Check continuity between the swingarm, and the battery. That will tell you everything you need to know.

I am building a battery box and there will be a rubber base pad for vibration. I was wondering if it was a viable location. As I am ditching the factory box I am looking also for alternate locations for reg/rec and the CDI box.I have a plastic inner fender and considered mounting these items there with an added ground. Thoughts?

On the wire diagram, if it has a ground out icon, next to the item, then it has to be grounded to the frame. since my diagram is for a 81, I dont know what an 76 one looks like. Oh that drewcifers bike. the 81 only has it marked near the battery. but it doesn't say the handle bar is the ground point for the starter. so I don't know. I felt to play it safe, and ran a pig tail. You do have the colorized version of the wire diagram don't you? from the top of the garage, under wire diagrams, (maybe tech tab)

I have the diagram for my model 1980G. I didn't realize there was such a symbol on the diagram, thanks for the heads up! I am so new to all of this I spend a ton of time researching, and then worrying, and the asking others and researching some more. I also have the Haynes manual on hand but I find that there are some things not very clear or straight out omitted on the US bikes. There is no ground symbol on the CDI control, regulator, rectifier. I will run asecondary ground for good measure though. This is very good information. I have learned quite a bit. Thank you.

Back