Removing contact breaker cover

Paul57

1980 XS400SG
Reaction score
This is my first time rebuilding an engine, so it's all new to me. I have the Hayes manual coming in the mail, and so far I've been using the online manuals. According to what I've read, the contact breaker cover is held by two screws. But on mine, it's one screw and some kind of stud (no head). I removed the one screw, and thought maybe the cover slid off the stud, but it doesn't seem to want to. I'm being very conservative with respect to forcing the issue.

I tried lifting the head cover but it hangs up (was worth a try).

It's a 1980 XS400 Special. Can someone help me please?

photo(14).JPG

Ok, so an update. I found a good parts diagram. One of the screws has a plug over it, about a quarter inch long, judging from the diagram. The plug is a good half or 3/4 inches deep in the hole. Why is this here?? And more to the point, how does one get it out to get to the screw?

It's #22 on the diagram:
Image.gif

You need to drill it out to get to the screw under it. Its made of brass so it will be easy, just go slow so not to mess up the head of the screw:wink2: It was plugged from the factory so people wont mess with the timing as an emissions control thing.

If you have a 1980 (with is a G or SG), you do not have points. Points were used through 1979 and electronic after. The electronic ignition does not need to be adjusted- hence, the plug over the screw.

giti.png

dk5d.png

In order to get the rocker box off you need to take that cover off.

Sure enough, the brass plug was about a quarter inch thick. I drilled it out and there was the screw behind it. Fortunately, there was a little space between the plug and the screw head, so drilling it didn't affect the screw head.

Once I got the cover off, then the cylinder cover came right off. Thanks everyone. And yes, it was an electronic module underneath instead of points. Good call. :bike:

Back