Rewiring bike, a few questions.

renne061

new to the XS world
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a little new to the site. Been lurking for a while. I've got an '81 XS400 that I'll post a few pics of if I can figure it out. I'm working on simplifying my wiring or totally going with new wires. If I do make my own wiring harness what gauge wires should I use? I'm only planning on running a headlight and taillight/brake lights, and maybe neutral or high beam indicators. It's kickstart only so I may reduce the battery size as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 162
Hm, there should be some reference material you can google for a more scientific answer, but the simplest method would simply be to copy the existing gauge as it meets its respective fuse. The largest fuse I have blows at 20 amps, so the wire needs to be capable of carrying about 20 amps.

I switched to bladed fuses and some subwoofer wire I had already was more than large enough.

I am kickstart only as well and I bought a 4 lb agm scooter battery from walmart I mounted on the swingarm; I have been driving it for almost a 1000 miles so far without issue.

Back