Round-headed Oil-filter Cover-bolt

So does the upside down mirror image mean that as your looking at the head from the front wheel you turn clockwise instead of counter?
I'm on an sohc so I only have for one bolt in the center of the filter cover
The DOHC only has the one bolt in the centre, however, the cover is on the very bottom of the engine and, unless you can raise the bike off the ground, you have to reach underneath from above. Maybe I'm a klutz, however, I had a hard time feeling confident since from my perspective above the engine, the wrench was going clockwise and I really had to fight the instinct to turn it the wrong way every time I went to change the filter.

From a perspective below the engine, looking up at the bolt though, it's definitely anti-clockwise to loosen. Since the SOHC bolt kind of faces forward, even if you're a klutz, you shouldn't have the perception problem I had with the DOHC. It's ALWAYS lefty loosey!

That's what I thought I just got nervous that it was different for some reason. I think mine was over tightened and probably been a long while since it was removed. Stuck city. I'm on to pipe wrench method now as the 12mm rounded over, vise grips aren't tight enough either. I'll look into finding some sort of a heat source too. At least I know I don't have to keep squirting pb blaster on it

I'm also stuck at this stage with my maxim, bolt head is very rounded, was thinking of putting a 11mm over it and smashing it on. Otherwise try heat and vice grips?

Sort of thinking ride it to a shop throw them a few bucks to save a headache.

Any other tricks to try ?

The threads are so deep it would take a lot of heat over time to do anything.
Vice grips maybe. A big pair of channel-lock/water pump pliers might work better. You'll make the bolt head worse either way.

I'd pay the shop, if you trust them not to screw it up, or weld a nut onto the head and use that to remove it.

Ive taken a file to the sides of rounded bolt heads like that before. get two sides flat enough and you can vise grip them out. Lock the vise grip so you use the tip and not the sides of the jaws. VERY tight. That way you can get another vise grip or channel locks to turn the vise grip. I tend to try a tapping-action rather than pushing it loose. using a mallet of some sort to give the bolt a "shock" rather than gradual force.

Back