Safety switch bypass

smurfy71

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so to pass my safety inspection the sidestand switch must function as intended. I found out when I took it in for the safety that it didn't. I thought no big deal, maybe it's the relay or the switch itself. I checked the continuity at the wiring harness and then to the relay, seemed to work. I picked up a used relay at a local shop, as a new one is over $100. Put it in, still didn't work. Today is a hangover day, I went to see Sammy Hagar last night (great show), so I went out to peek at the wiring, not planning to do any work......

I lifted off the tank and noticed the blue and yellow wire was outside the main wrap of the harness for an inch and then went back under. This stuck me as the blue/yellow eventually goes to the relay. I unwrapped the harness and found some mods had been made, I assume to bypass the safety switches? The blue/yellow is connected to the light blue with a diode between them, and the light blue seems to eventually end up at the other relay. Many other wires have been altered as well, a red, yellow, green and brown have been spliced into different connections. :banghead: All these changes were then wrapped back up in the factory harness.

I searched for a process to bypass the switches so I could follow it to reverse the process but no luck. Any suggestions? Wiring is not my forte, and I don't want to make a bigger problem. Or is it as simple as cutting the new connections and matching the colors again?

full

full

So after reviewing the wiring diagrams, wow my eyes are crossed, it seems the diode is factory. Now I'm not sure about the other splices, maybe they are correct?

Any help would be appreciated. I can't figure out what the issue is here. when I put the multimeter to the wires at the relay I can see a change when the switch is activated and then let go. If it's not the wiring or the relay, what else should I be looking for?

The diode and splices are factory. Don't mess with them.

The side stand safety kills the ignition when the transmission is in gear and the side stand is down. The relay connects to the TCI module via a Black w/ White wire.

Sorry, can't be any more help. I removed all that wiring over the winter and the wiring diagram isn't much help...

Thanks Dave. I think I'm going to fight the mechanic on this one. I know this is a factory installed safety feature, but the regulations don't specifically mention these devices for safety. It does say the sidestand must be able to move upwards if it comes in contact with the ground, when moving forward and left in the down position. Which it does.

I'd go to a different mechanic after you have removed and disabled the safety system. If the new mechanic questions the lack of safety, tell him it was only installed on US models back then. ;)

Sad thing is, I pointed it out to him. I didn't know it wasn't working. He got on the bike and said he didn't like the sidestand, that I should be careful of it. He thought it seemed dangerous with the angle it was at. I, stupidly, said "there is a safety switch that wouldn't let me drive away with it down......"

Last edited:
Lesson learned:
When considering offering unsolicited info to an "official": Open mouth, insert foot, floss with laces if available. When done, offer info, if still inclined to speak. :banghead:

This lesson will serve you well for the rest of your life when dealing with superiors, inspectors, lawyers, police, and all gov't employees. :thumbsup:

I just keep looking and finding nothing.

How does this switch work? If I unplug the switch will it think the the side stand is up or down? What if I connect the wires from the switch together? Just need some more trouble shooting ideas.

The switch opens when the stand is down, if my memory serves me.

You are going to have to test the trigger side of the relay to make sure it is being operated when the bike is in gear and the stand is up or down. Then you can test the "load" side of the relay to see what it does when activated or not.

Don't get frustrated, you are doing nothing more complicated than tracing a kids 'connect the dots' drawing. Make a drawing of your own and take notes with your test results. It will all make sense in the end!

The last sentence? I'm guessing you meant paragraph.

Have you ever seen a kids drawing book where there are a bunch of numbered dots on the page? Start at dot 1 and draw a line to dot 2, then 3, etc. until the picture is complete. Electrical troubleshooting is no more difficult, you are just using a test light or multimeter rather than a pencil.

Most people tend to make electrical more complicated than it is. This isn't rocket science and you aren't working on the Space Shuttle. :)

Now I'm not saying you should, but there's a guy in London that I got my safety from. Can't recall his name, but he's an older fellow and fits the mechanic stereotype to a T. His safety inspection consisted of making sure it starts up, the horn blows, and that all the lights work. If 'someone' were to pay him a visit with $60 bucks, 'someone' might walk away with a pass. I do, however, suggest that this 'someone' make sure their bike is actually safe before riding.

Note: I would have failed my safety anywhere else for missing side covers. They're hard to come by around here.

You're also very far from London, so it may not be of much help...

LOL. Well I'll be in Dorchester in 2 weeks, but I really don't want to trailer it thru Toronto. This is the only thing left on my list of failed items. I think removing it is the better option. I imagine there is "a guy" around here that would do the same.

Back