Shift Cam Re-Install

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
okay, from previous post's, I did split the bottom end, with out touching the top end. When I put the Gears back into the machine, I wasnt getting any warm fuzzy that the gear changing is working, then when I got the whole engine together, the instructions said to test it while temporary attaching. somehow I missed it completely as far as what else I was suppose to look for when putting the gears together. :banghead: Here is a pic of what It look liked prior to removal. Any suggestions are appreciative! Thanks
Tobie
81 XS400HS 4R4

Starting to remove it now!!!! (re-splitting it)

Attachments

• P05-16-12_00.29.jpg
    P05-16-12_00.29.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 347
did you take the shift cams out?

they do move quite freely and need their little stubs to interact with the gear change drum. they may move out when the engine is maneuvered into position.

I guess the manual, has the Halves put together, then they start to Install the drum guide.... (Haynes 75 to 84 XS400' as well as others)

Warm fuzzy, Still looking for it, The shafts only spin almost a quarter of a turn. not quite the full 1/4. since I thought it was in neutral, I thought it should be free spinning?
Tobie

ps still :banghead:

:confused: Okay, Seems the Drum was pushed in too far. Now both shafts spin just fine. Fuzzy feeling has been attained. Now I need to make sure I put in the guides right, cause apparently I didnt do it right last time. :doh:

Back