Shorten Side Stand

Maxim-umm

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I've put in a shorter monoshock on my bike and now I need to shorten the side stand. My biggest issue is I don't know how to weld, nor do I have a welder. If anybody has any recommendations on how to shorten it or other bikes that have shorter sidestands that are compatible I'm all ear. I tried searching a bit but didn't really come up with an answer. Most everyone cut/welded it.

Thanks all.

yea cut it I'd say. If you're poor and you can't weld, you can only cut it, and maybe find like a rubber cap which you stick on there (perhaps drill a hole through it and use a bolt to hold it in place?). Or you take it off, cut it and have it welded at a shop. Shouldn't be too expensive really

If you don't object to how long it is when it is retracted, you could also consider bending the shaft so that when it is extended, the tip is higher allowing the bike to lean over enough.
I'm not familiar with the exact configuration of the mechanism, but it might also be possible to grind down the stop so that when the bike is transferring its weight back to it, the shaft is angled farther forward and lower.

Both methods allow you to retain the little foot and to restore the whole thing to original more easily should you or some S.O. wish to do so in the future.

thanks guys for the advice. i'll take a look at the stop and see if i can grind it down first. then look at bending. if need be i'll cut it down and bolt on a heavy duty rubber foot.

A local body shop, muffler shop, or even a general garage should have a MIG welder and someone who would like $20 cash in their pocket.

What about your neighbours? I know that there are 3 MIG welders, 2 stick welders, and 2 sets of Oxy-Acetalyne torches on the short street I live on. The internet can only do so much for you... ;)

I'll check out some of the local shops around to see if someone has the time. I live in a condo complex (no garages)tucked away behind a larger commercial area. Only person I know with a welder lives about 3 hours away :(

Back