Shortys with STOCK air filters question

new_idea

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 Special II and last night my shorty mufflers came in. I have read several threads on here about proper jetting with those things BUT it seems everyone has pod filters. I am keeping my stock filters and am wondering if my jetting will be the same as you guys that have pods. I would think not. Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

On another note...I got .5" clamps for the mufflers but they seem to be too small. Should I order some 3/4" or man handle the ones I have?

Generally speaking when you just change out the exhaust rejetting may not be absolutely necessary. I put shorty mufflers on my GS650 and it runs amazing without jetting, plugs look correct and its not running lean. Put the mufflers on and see how it runs, if it is running poorly then by all means rejet.

Thanks! I will see what happens if I can get the damn things on. I have never cut mufflers off before so I am slow at figuring out where to make my final cut to put them on.

No problem, cut the stock mufflers off @ the welds with an angle grinder using a cutting disk. The smooth of the edges. Place the muffler over the header and see how much free play there is. Sometimes it beneficial to take a pop can, cut it up, and is it as a shim to make it clamp on easier. Welding the mufflers is ideal but obviously that's not possible unless you have access to a welder.

Well, I got them put on. It sounds INSANE! I am throwing flames and popping all over the place. It is crazy lean now so, I am going to order a few different jet sizes to see which ones work for me. Thanks for the guidance!

Back