So I screwed up this morning and as a result, I am shifting to a single carb xs400

wedge98

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, hello all. I recently bought an 80 xs400 for my g/f as a learner bike. The machine was not running and was knocked over a week prior when parked on the street.

Earlier this weekend I took out the carbs to clean them up and see if I could find why the bike would not start(the engine would run briefly on carb cleaner and there was fuel in both float bowls). During the cleanout, i noticed in one of the carbs, a copper float was higher than it's twin. So, i bent one to align with the other and thought nothing of it. I was able to get the bike running but very rough. I wanted to work more on it but I had to head out for the day. When I came back 6 hours later, the bike was literally dripping fuel onto the floor. Turns out that float change meant the float needle would never seat and now that carb had puked gas all over the garage out of one of the intake boots. opps....

Fast forward to this morning, I took the carbs off again, read through all the threads, pdfs, and manuals and properly setup the float to the desired 26mm. Then I moved to the idle screws. I tightened them up and then went to read the manual and noticed a comment on tightening until slightly seated...I looked into the carb and to my dismay I saw 2-3mm of the needle sticking out on both carbs. I removed the needles to find out I had lodged part of the needle into carb and now had to hope I could remove it. On one carb, success. The other is hosed. So I am down to one carb and if I guy on TCU still sells his really nice xs400 single carb manifold, I will be going with a one-carb setup.

Since i could not find a great thread on this. I will be using this thread to document it for other users. I know I may not get the desired CFM from the stock carb but I am going to try it before I switch to a 34mm KEIHIN.

Keep tuned to this thread and I will update it as the parts arrive and progress is made.

Any suggestions on the new carb settings(jet sizes, clips, idle screw, etc...) to adapt to the need for increased fuel/air would be very helpful.

welcome wedge

did you try pushing the recaltriant tip through with a ground down nail. Its happened 3 times to me and have had no problem removing them.

yeah, one went back in nicely. The other one would not go through back in at all. Tried a flathead screwdriver to just apply force, tried a punch(horrible idea as this flattened the tip out), then went to work with a pick and well after 15minutes called it a failure as the carb is all scored and messed up from the pick sliding when too much force was applied

Well, sorry to hear about this. I've not heard much positive about a single carb conversion, but I'm sure some people have made it work. A few scratches inside the carb will not ruin it. If you really, really want to try a single carb conversion, have fun, but remember that you will be chasing tuning issues for quite a while. Returning these bikes to stock does amazing things for how well they run....I believe this so greatly, I put it in my sig

Last edited:
hmmmm, maybe I need to rethink my angle on this..... Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

yeah, one went back in nicely. The other one would not go through back in at all. Tried a flathead screwdriver to just apply force, tried a punch(horrible idea as this flattened the tip out), then went to work with a pick and well after 15minutes called it a failure as the carb is all scored and messed up from the pick sliding when too much force was applied

push it from the screw side into the carb :D

I guess I can't damage it anymore, so I will give that a shot tomorrow :)

Would a small punch do the trick?

-Chris

well, I do not have a grinder or nail available as I am not into my new place to setup my garage till November...How narrow does it have to be? I might be able to make something else work....

try and get it thin like the needle, that way your not opening up the taper too much. you could always file it by hand, like in the 'olden days

ohhh!!! I see what you are telling me to do now.

Thank you for the advice and yes I do have a bunch of hand files so I can do it the old school way.

It would probably be easier to get a set of used carbs on ebay or the classifieds here... Or just one used carb body. If you want to go the 2 into 1 route, take a look at the second half of this thread: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4756

Has anybody yet made a short, symetrical 2 into 1 like the Kawi KZ400 guys do and stuck it on an XS400? I absolutely take your point Travis about the differences between the 180 and 360 cranks and how close the intake strokes are on a 180. It would be great to hear from someone who had tried a standard 2 -1 with short runners and if they got it to work :shrug:

so I now have three sets of carbs(messed up set, a spare I didn't know about in my parts bin, and one I bought yesterday). So I should be all set to get her running again under the normal setup :)

I know a guy on this forum his name is DCopp and I believe he has a very attractive 2 into 1 carb holder he would be willing to part with since I might be buying the engine its attached to.

Thanks OnePhate, I am in contact with him now.

So last night I pulled apart 2 sets of identical year/style carbs XS400SE aka Mikuni BS 34 III aka 4G5 version with the goal of getting one working set.

Set A(which I found in my spare parts bin) was a horrible mismatch of parts though it was very clean. Mismatch parts consisted of different springs, different floats, and unmatch float needles(which were loose)

Set B(which I bought from a fellow forum member) was complete but really really dirty. They need a soak in carb cleaner, an ultrasonic cleaner, or the crock pot lime juice method.

So I took the clean base of Set A, removed everything and did a complete clean out(all jets and needles removed and cleaned, all passageways cleaned, and everything that looked like it was clean was cleaned some more)

I then took the good components in set A and added the good/correct components from Set B and put the carbs back together.

Slapped the carbs on the bike, took a deep breath, and kicked her over. On the first kick she fired right up and held 4000rpm with full choke. After mucking around a little the bike suddenly died out on me... wierd I thought as it was running well and at high rpm....

After mucking around some more I got her started again with my trusty old carb cleaner and then on a whim I switch the fuel from reserve to prime. Sure enough that did it, the bike now was running and ran for while.

There are still some idle issues(dies out after sitting for a bit), and one cylinder(right) is running much leaner than the left, but she runs and starts!!

Woot! Now I just need a new fuel petcock and the bike will be ready to go fuel wise.

Back