Spark plugs totally white

Post # 52 you say try for yourself and see.Is this not telling me to cut my springs?

There seems to be some big ego issues here....
I posted about a white spark plug. Somebody asked about the springs and you labeled my answer as "non factual". I told you to try for yourself if you want to talk about facts. You replied that you're not going to "ruin your carbs" and I answered that there is no ruining involved in trying. If you think that me, Nuno, is trying to persuade you, Scorpio, to try that mod you're wrong.
I'm just replying to your (two) loose argumentation: you're not talking about facts and there is no ruining involved.

I also agreed with you that the spring should get stiffer but I can really feel a different effect...I want to be sure before sentencing "this is an awesome mod" but I don't see it anywhere in the forum so, again, I'm not trying to persuade anybody.

Whats getting posted here has nothing to do with ego on my part but misguiding people and wrong nonhelpful information is.If this works so well lets see the proof,Show me a sound a clip.I also asked how much spring did you cut off which you never answered.:wtf:

Whats getting posted here has nothing to do with ego on my part but misguiding people and wrong nonhelpful information is.If this works so well lets see the proof,Show me a sound a clip.I also asked how much spring did you cut off which you never answered.:wtf:

So, I come here asking why my plugs are white despite of the big jets, but really the dark truth is I want to misguide people and give wrong information. That makes sense. This is the only valid explanation otherwise why asking for a sound clip. No seriously, you want to judge how a cut spring works with a sound clip...but, still thinking about it, if I want to misguide and give wrong infos couldn't I just send you a video with two stock springs inside the carbs?
Then you have no big ego, but you're somehow acting like some superhero defending the truth and wellness of anybody in here. Please, go on.

I didn't see the question about how much I cut: 1 coil. (edited: 1.5 was the original idea but didn't want to cut too much in one step)

Last edited:
When you asked your question about the plugs you mentioned that cut your springs for faster throttle responce.If it makes it faster other than your word is one to know unless you can hear the bike running and watch to see if it is indeed faster.Now IDK how you got this idea througha tutorial or how but since i been on this forum nobody has ever mentioned it before.With all the knowlegable people on this site if its something that increases performance or dramticaly improves a function on our bikes Im sure it would have already been brought up,Yes or no?Im not an expurt on carb tuning thats why I asked about the spring cutting.In the mention of it I said without proof Im not alterating my carbs in this fashion.A sound clip would provide the proof IF you had 2 bikes for comparison so otherwise modding the springs is just hearsay.Si if someone reading your post does this and it messes thier carbs or throttle up then they have been misguided have they or not?I also asked or mentioned that modding your springs in the way you went about it is maybe causing your lean condtion.Im sure when they designed these carbs the spring hieght was made the way it is for a reason.

When you asked your question about the plugs you mentioned that cut your springs for faster throttle responce.If it makes it faster other than your word is one to know unless you can hear the bike running and watch to see if it is indeed faster.Now IDK how you got this idea througha tutorial or how but since i been on this forum nobody has ever mentioned it before.With all the knowlegable people on this site if its something that increases performance or dramticaly improves a function on our bikes Im sure it would have already been brought up,Yes or no?Im not an expurt on carb tuning thats why I asked about the spring cutting.In the mention of it I said without proof Im not alterating my carbs in this fashion.A sound clip would provide the proof IF you had 2 bikes for comparison so otherwise modding the springs is just hearsay.Si if someone reading your post does this and it messes thier carbs or throttle up then they have been misguided have they or not?I also asked or mentioned that modding your springs in the way you went about it is maybe causing your lean condtion.Im sure when they designed these carbs the spring hieght was made the way it is for a reason.

Well the thing about "nobody ever did" is true until somebody does it, and that's pretty general. As I wrote before the idea was given me but a guy who should know better otherwise I'd be very surprised how he could made a career in this business.
http://www.galassetti.it/

Regarding your last sentence: I'm an engineer, I work with cars fuel systems every day, I'm one of those who design things the way they are (until somebody does better, damn!).
I reverse engineer the code inside the ECU of Nissan GTRs, 370z, Subaru STI/WRX and so on and then spend half day on the dyno to see if I got it right...believe me, there is nothing like "Things have been designed the way they are for a reason". No sorry, I correct myself: things have been designed the way they are for A reason, but there is not just ONE reason.
The reason for a particular choice (the length of a spring, the lift of a camshaft and such things) is always a compromise between two or more extremes AND there is always a factor of security involved. This is what is called a "short blanket": you have to choose if you want to cover your feet or your head but can't do both with the resources you have. You may have heard this talking about degreeing a camshaft: top or bottom but not both.
If you really think about it: there might be infinite solutions with infinite effects but the engineer can give you just one unless a variable length spring is invented tomorrow. (that's exactly what happened with camshafts in the last 10 years or so...) (or they ship the bike with a set of springs for any occasion...)

On a spring I would imagine it's a balance between how quick it'd open and how fast it'd close and it has to be accorded to the engine torque curve.
There is not much left of my original XS so whatever was the reason behind that particular length it's probably gone when I ported the head, installed pods, mufflers and so on...so, in the end, the torque curve (so, the fuel needs) of my engine are really different from stock, why should I think that the stock spring is still the best choice?
Again, I didn't push anybody about doing this, I just mentioned I did while describing the situation of my carbs and I felt an improvement with my setup.

So intriging your an engineer and work with car fuel systems so diagnosing why you have a lean condition on your bike ought to be a piece of cake which would bring me to my next question why do you have to ask certainly a person with your back ground and inteligence shouldnt have to ask on motorcycle forum why "I have white sparkplugs"?
Hey also Im not biligual although I wish I was I dont understand the language in the link you posted.

Last edited:
So intriging your an engineer and work with car fuel systems so diagnosing why you have a lean condition on your bike ought to be a piece of cake which would bring me to my next question why do you have to ask certainly a person with your back ground and inteligence shouldnt have to ask on motorcycle forum why "I have white sparkplugs"?

are you serious?
Is that where all this discussion is coming from? You read the post and what you got was "He's asking what a whit plug means".
In first place:
I didn't ask "why I have white plugs" because the answer would be pretty obvious.
Second:
I tried to explain to your big ego person why sentences like "there must be a reason" makes no sense at all and now I see I totally wasted a few bytes around the net.
Third:
You have such a small clue of what you are talking about, and now I see it, that you can't tell the difference between a carburetor and an ECU and how to tune the two...or maybe you consider an engineer to be a tuner and a tuner to be an engineer. I don't know, what you said makes no sense at all.
Fourth:
According to you, engineers don't write on internet boards. They have the answer, always.

That's in your world. In mine that would be:
I asked how can it be because there must be something I'm forgetting or I'm not aware of. I wrote a few times that the bike runs fine, pull to the red line in 6th gear, it's not lean at all (because you know, it doesn't take any degree to tell when a bike is lean...) BUT at the same moment the sparkplug is white.
A carburetor is quite different from an ECU. Knowing what "lean" means doesn't mean being able to fix the problem in a minute....not on a carb nor in an ECU.
Being wrong or not perfect is something that people with a regular size ego usually takes into account. It's not about being dumb or ignorant, it's just life....without arrogance.
And engineers do write on forums.

Are we done here?

What was the question I got caught up in yout last read about being an engineeer and working for fuel systems on car while also using a dynostem to get them dialed it/WHen you get an answer be share it with the rest of?byebye

Problem solved, mystery unveiled.
I checked the fuel filter and it was dirty again, looked inside the tank and rust has come back in the month I had to leave the bike in a humid wooden shed, low on fuel. I cleaned the carbs again and again but this time I also replaced the fuel line and the filter.
I didn't let the bike to warm up as I always do, I didn't want the pilot jets to get clogged again so I turned the ignition on and started to drive immediately. It runs much better now.
I then jumped on the highway and tried to cruise at full throttle in third or fourth gear for a few miles and then stopped: the plugs are now perfect.
The reason why I didn't notice the problem with the pilot jets before is because on my ride from Rome to London (10 days ago) I never had to rely heavily on the idle circuit as I didn't spend much time at low RPMs....I traveled at high revs all the time so I was completely outside the problem-zone and the bike runs awesomely when over 3500 rpms with no sign of lean carburation on the spark plugs.
I'm now using the bike to commute to work but the time spent at high RPMs is not enough to properly color the plugs (with a 50miles/h limit I need very little throttle in 6th gear) on a regular day.
I'm also thinking about the mains I'm using...having a thicker head they sit lower than a stock jet so the needle at third or fourth notch cannot fully close them at idle, screwing every test I could have done at lower revs.

Problem solved, I can now happily switch to a pair of TMs :D

Back